Houses built along Madeira Road and Commonside West, possibly between 1922 and 1926.
These photos, taken in May 2016, show houses along Commonside West. Most of the houses in Madeira Road have been extended to the front with porches etc.
This photo is from the 1926 article referred to below.
Architects CULPIN and BOWERS
COST: Approximately £600 per house.
MATERIALS: The external 9 inch brick walls are covered up to the cill levels of the first floors, above which the front has a projecting stucco band and a felt-floated cream-white plaster finish; the chimney stacks are faced with red sand-faced bricks; the window casements throughout are of wood; the halls and sculleries have red composition floors, and the roof is covered with variegated sand-faced plain tiles.
Source: an unnamed architectural magazine being sold on ebay
Building application no. 350 submitted by the News of the World for ’28 cottages, Commonside East (sic) and Madeira Road’ was approved by Mitcham Urban District Council on 12th September, 1922. Source: Proceedings of the council Volume VIII 1922 – 23.
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.