Parade of shops on the east side of Streatham Road consisting of eleven shops between Caithness Road and Park Avenue, and four more from the southern corner of Park Avenue.
Mentioned in 1920 adverts as ‘Grand Parade’, the numbering was from north to south, 1 to 15, which was then numbered as 121 to 93 in the 1925 street directory. In the OS map of 1949, the numbers are 221 to 193, as they are in 2016.
This ad for J Brewer at number 217 shows that the final renumbering occurred between 1925 and 1938.
Merton Memories photo of 1930 shows the parade from corner of Caithness Road looking south.
Occupants from 1911 Commercial Directory
|1||Percy Beard||wine & spirit merchant|
|2||Thomas James Mills||laundry|
|4||Jas. Benj. Austin||grocer,& post office|
|5||Thomas George||oil & color man|
|9||Edward Huntley & Sons||house & estate agents|
|10||Edward Arthur Jesson||newsagent|
|13||Thomas George Humphrey Palmer||ironmonger|
|14||Miss Babette Reiss||confectioner|
In the 1915 directory, Raoul Chabauty is listed as a draper at 11, Grand Parade, and in the 1925 director as draper at 101 Streatham Road. This implies that the first renumbering was between 1915 and 1925.
World War 1 Connections
Able Seaman Walter Thomas Edmonds
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.