According to Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories: 7 The Upper or Fair Green, Mitcham, page 120, Montrose was a red brick house built for Frederick Samson, veterinary surgeon, in the late 19th century. It had replaced an older house which was set back from the road, and had shops in its front gardens.
In 2016, a newsagent ‘Mitcham News’ and a dentist occupy the two shops on the Upper Green in front of this building.
Occupied by dentists, according to the Dentists Registry:
1935 and 1940 : Arthur McEwan
1930, 1935, 1940 and 1942 : Trevor Thomas Oliver