Obelisk

Grade II listed by Historic England, this monument is on the west of the Canons Lodge, as seen on this OS map of 1954:

It was erected in 1822 to commemorate relief of a serious drought. The date 25 September 1822 is inscribed.

This photo from August 2019 shows some of the rendering has come away at the base, revealing the brickwork.

Photo taken 3rd August 2019

In September 2020 the wall behind the obelisk was removed and a temporary fence was put up.

photo taken 28th September 2020


On the inset tablet are inscribed four biblical verses:

‘In grateful recollection of the goodness of God through whose favours water has been provided for this neighbourhood/God opened the rock and the waters gushed out, they ran in dry places like a river. Psalm CV v 41

He turneth dry ground into water springs. Psalm CVII V 35

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord. Psalm CL V 6

A fountain shall water the valley. Joel III v 18’


In 1946 it was in need of repair, as shown in council minutes:

From the minutes of the
General Purposes Committee
July 16, 1946

11. “The Canons”

– Read letter from Mitcham Civic Society stating that they were concerned at the state of the obelisk in the grounds of “The Canons,” and asking that the inscription be made more legible and a railing placed in front of the obelisk so that the public could obtain a clearer view of the monument.
Resolved, That the Borough Engineer be instructed to report on this proposal.

Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 12 1945-46, pages 790-1


From the minutes of the
General Purposes Committee
October 15, 1946

Obelisk : “The Canons”
I have inspected the obelisk at “The Canons” and find that it is constructed of brickwork rendered in cement. It could be cleaned by the careful use of a wire brush. Certain small repairs are necessary to the base. The estmated cost of the work of cleaning and repair is £20.

Yours obediently,
Riley Schofield,
Borough Engineer and Surveyor.

Resolved – That the Borough Engineer be instructed to carry out the repairs suggested.

Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 12 1945-46, pages 1022-3


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.