From the Mitcham News & Mercury
20th May, 1949
Last Chapter In The Story Of Hall Place
The last chapter in the history of the Hall Place, Church-road, near Mitcham Town Hall, is now being written.
This week, the dust of demolition rises like the bursting of flour bags. Elizabethan type chimneys silhouette the sky, waiting their turn to tumble amid the debris.
The present Hall Place, described as a “village mansion,” was built in 1707, and many historical features were lost with later additions. For two hundred years it was occupied by the Worsfold family. Sir Cato Worsfold died just before the last war, and the family vacated the house.
Sir Cato had a humorous story to tell in connection to tell in connection with his home. In 1745, when the Young Pretender’s troops were marching on London by way of Mitcham, the Worsfold in residence called his employees together, and delivered a patriotic speech calculated to stir the most sluggish breast.
They stood and listened with flails, scythes and billhooks. But, somehow, they weren’t moved as he expected them to be. Then, the master of the house brought out three barrels of his best October brew. That did the trick.
Instructions have been given for two archways at the Hall Place to be left standing. One was erected from masonry brought from Merton Priory.
These two reminders of the past will add to the appearance and tone of the new building for the Mitcham County Secondary Boys’ School, which is scheduled for the site.