Tag Archives: 1909

Mitcham Argyle Football Club

From a postcard dated 1907

News Articles


The Mitcham Argyle club opened their Balham and District League programme on Saturday, with a match against the Clapham United at Gorringe Park, and after a a very exciting time, the game ended in a draw of 5-5.

The Argyle, who were again. unfortunately, unable to have the services of their goalkeeper, won the toss, and play kicked off for the Rovers at 3.30, who immediately made tracks for goal, but were sent back by Prentice. Clapham kept up a persistent attack, and it was not very long before their efforts were rewarded by a mistake by the Argyles’ left back letting in Clay, who with a clear goal made no mistake with his shot. Shortly after the same player nearly added another goal with a fast shot at short range. which Mullins, who was playing goal in place of Hillier. just managed to put over the bar. After this the Argyle had a turn, and the United’s goal had some very narrow escapes, but eventually Ayling managed to obtain near goal and made the score even with a nice shot. From the kickoff the ball was sent well up towards the Argyles’ goal, and a race for the hall between Mullins and Clay ended in the latter securing and scoring in easy fashion. The Argyle were not long in drawing level, a line pass by Carey being neatly converted by Craib, and almost immediately after the whistle went for halftime.

On resuming the United attacked strongly and scored twice, both goals being by Waddam, the first was a good effort, but the second was an absolute present. Mullins letting the ball through his hands in a most unaccountable manner. Clapham’s large lead seemed to increase the efforts of the Argyle players. A nice run by Carey was finished with a lovely shot, which had the goalkeeper beaten all the way. Following this Ayling got clear away and sent to Craib who slammed the ball into the net and made the score level again. The game was now getting somewhat exciting, and the referee had to caution Clay, the United’s centre for ward for unfair tactics. The next goal fell to the Argyle, and was the best effort of the match. Craib obtained from the kickoff and travelled right through the United’s defence and ended with a shot which gave the goalkeeper no earthly chance. The Argyle made great efforts to keep their lead, but towards the end Noble obtained and shot from 20 yards and beat Mullins, who was handicapped by the centre-half getting in his line of sight. The score was again level, and both teams made determined efforts to obtain the lead, but nothing further was scored, and the game ended as above.

The Argyle showed improved form, and on Saturday, when they play their first home match on Figgs marsh, hope to have their best side out, and register their first win of this season.

Source: Croydon Guardian and Surrey County Gazette – Saturday 09 October 1909 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)


The Mitcham Argyle Football Club opened their fifth season on Saturday last, with a match against the Waterfall F.C. on the latter’s ground, and after a very good and even game, the Argyle were beaten by one goal to nil. This result can be reckoned satisfactory by the supporters of the Argyle, considering that several new men were included in the team, which naturally did not allow of smooth working and complete understanding at the first time of asking, but on the whole, the form displayed was distinctly encouraging. and after a week or two the Mitcham Argyle F.C. should develop into a very decent combination.

The match on Saturday was fought out in a very friendly spirit and the first half should have seen the Waterfall leading, several good attempts by their inside forward, being cleverly frustrated by the Argyle goalie, W. Hillier, and towards the finish of the first half, J. Relf, the Argyle capt., in attempting to clear from the Waterfall centre, headed through his own goal, but the referee’s whistle had just previously gone owing to an injury to Hillier. Half time arrived with neither side claiming any advantage.

The second half was fairly even, although both sides missed easy chances, and twenty minutes from the finish a penalty was given against the Argyle for an obviously unintentional infringement by the right back. The penalty was taken by the Waterfall centre, who shot hard and true, but Hillier was there and cleared well. Two minutes from the time the Argyle was subjected to a strong attack, and after a scrimmage in front of goal, Roots obtained and sent in a fine shot which cannoned off the goal post into the net. One minute later the final whistle went, and the Argyle retired beaten by a goal to nil, after a very fine game.

For the losers, Hillier gave a display in goal, and Prentice at left back was great. Relf also played well, and the same must be said of Kemp and Roots for the winners. On Saturday next the Argyle will be entertained by the Caithness Rangers.

Source: Croydon Guardian and Surrey County Gazette – Saturday 25 September 1909 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

1909 Pig Slaughtering in Miles Lane

From the minutes of the Mitcham Parish Council of 25th January 1909

The following letter from the Clerk to the Croydon Rural District Council was read :—


Dear Sir,


I am directed to forward the subjoined copy of a resolution passed by the District Council at their last meeting, and to ask that you will bring the same before the Parrish Council.

Yours truly,

R. M. CHART, Esq., Clerk of the Mitcham Parish Council.

” The Medical Officer reported that in the course of Mr. Rabbetts’ inspection of the Piggeries on the Mitcham Allotments he found two pigs had recently been slaughtered and dressed in a shed belonging to Mr. William Sayers, who resides at 1, Clifton Cottages, Miles Lane, Mitcham. The shed was constructed of wood with concrete floor, and had a copper in it for heating water, which was obtained from a surface well close to the Piggeries. Mr. Rabbetts cautioned Mr. Sayers against using this shed as a slaughterhouse a few months ago, when he found that a pig had been slaughtered there. The Committee directed the attention of the Mitcham Parish Council be called to the circumstances, with a view to the prohibition by them of a continuation of this practice.”

1) Miles Lane, now called Miles Road, is shown in this map of 1910

1910 map

1910 map

2) Before 1915, Mitcham was part of the Croydon Rural District Council.

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Parish Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Manufactured at Grove Mills, on the Wandle in Mitcham.

First manufactured in 1903 by a company called ‘The Patent Horse Hair Co. Ltd.’, ‘lyxhayr’ was a curled fibre of vegetable origin for many upholstery filling applications. Developed by a chemist called Mr Holmes, the process was patented.

As well as hair from horses, wool or cotton fibre, called ‘flock’, was used in filling mattresses and furniture. Sometimes, hog hair was mixed in with the horse hair to reduce cost. Animal hair however was not hygienic, and the company’s advertisement in 1907 said that the Public Analyst for Hackney, Dr Leo Taylor, had found that the hair contained almost the same amount of bacteria as London sewage.

Being made from vegetable, this artificial horse hair was free of bacteria.

In 1905 the company changed its name to Lyxhayr Ltd. and Mr W. A. Dickinson was its Managing Director. Mattresses made with lyxhayr were popular with hospitals but cheaper, less hygienic ones were still being sold.

Mr Dickinson was one of those who lobbied parliament leading to the Rag Flock Act of 1911, which was the first attempt to regulate the abuses.

1907 ad

1907 ad

Listed in the 1938 commercial directory as

Mitcham Fibre Mills Ltd., horse hair substitute manufacturers, Grove Mills, London Road. Trading As “Lyxhayr, Mitcham;” Telephone Number 0807.

News Articles

1909 fire

At one o’clock on Saturday morning a fire broke out the Grove Mills, Mitcham, an artificial horsehair manufactory. The fire brigades from Croydon, Sutton, and Mitcham attended, but the four-storey brick building was completely gutted. The damage is estimated at from £5,000 to £6,000.

Source: Western Chronicle – Friday 05 February 1909 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Rev D.F. Wilson

Mitcham Parish vicar from 19th July 1859 to ??????

Clip of Rev Wilson and his wife from Merton Memories photo 49808 17th July 1909. Copyright London Borough of Merton.

Clip of Rev Wilson and his wife from Merton Memories photo 49808 17th July 1909. Copyright London Borough of Merton.


The Rev. D. F. Wilson, for the past 55 years vicar of Mitcham. and Mrs. Wilson celebrated their golden wedding on Tuesday. Mr Wilson is in his 84th year and both he and Mrs. Wilson are in very good health. Mr. Wilson still conducts the chief services, and social activities of his large parish. He is the chairman of the school managers, and is seldom absent from the meetings.

Canon Wilson became vicar of Mitcham in 1859, and when in July, 1909 he celebrated his jubilee all Mitcham united to do him honour. He has held the living longer than any of his predecessors, 45 in number, though two of them held it 45 years. The church was founded in 1291.

Canon Wilson has seen the population grow from 4,000 to 31,000, and three new churches built. He has also baptised the grandchildren of men whom he baptised in the same church.

Source: Gloucestershire Echo – Wednesday 28 January 1914 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

Merton Memories photos

Collingsby Caricatures
Rev Wilson
c. 1875
1909 the 50th anniversary as parish vicar