Tag Archives: 1953

Mitcham Rubber Company

Rubber factory that was on the south side of Morden Road, as shown in this 1953 OS map.

1953 OS map

1947 aerial photo, looking south, from Britain From Above

The business moved from Mitcham in 1963 and the factory site is now a trading estate.

According to a comment on the Mitcham History Group on Facebook:

it was a big local employer in the 1950s and called workers back to work with an air raid siren.

Also from Facebook, the Leyland Historical Society, in requesting any local knowledge of the Mitcham Rubber Company, said:

Mitcham Rubber Company started in 1916 as a subsidiary of the Leyland & Birmingham Rubber Company, part of the firm that produced latex products before being transferred up to Leyland in 1963

Before 1916, the site was used by W.T. Bigsby varnish manufacturers.

News Articles

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer – Saturday 9th September 1916

LEYLAND AND BIRMINGHAM RUBBER COMPANY

Presiding at the annual meeting of Leyland and Birmingham Rubber Company, at Leyland, yesterday. Mr. Robert T. Byrne said the past year’s profits were £67,239 after providing for excess profit tax, and £27,311 was brought forward. A final dividend on the Ordinary Shares of 10 per cent, was proposed, making 15 per cent, for the twelve months, and carrying forward £25,429. They recieved notice from the Government that from September 1 the works at Leyland and Mayhill, Glasgow, would be controlled under the Munitions of War Act. If they were not controlled many workmen of military age would be taken from them, but they will not now stand such risk. The directors had taken over the Mitcham Rubber Company with a view of capturing a special class of trade which was almost entirely done before the war in England, France, and Russia by the German and Austrian manufacturers. The report was adopted, and Mr. J. T. Goodie was re-elected director.

Birmingham Daily Post – Thursday 19th September 1918

PURCHASE OF THE MITCHAM RUBBER COMPANY.

They would remember that extraordinary general meeting of the shareholders of the Mitcham Rubber Company was held on June 19 consider the advisability of purchasing the balance of shares in the Mitcham Rubber Company, and letter setting out firstly the reasons for doing so accompanied the notice calling that meeting. The shareholders present at that meeting unanimously decided to purchase the balance of shares, so that the Mitcham Rubber Company was now the absolute property of this company. He proceeded to speak of the branches home and abroad. The home branches – namely, London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Manchester, Glasgow, and Edinburgh, and the Palatine Heel Company — had again, he was pleased to say, done exceedingly well; the result of the trading the Mary Hill Works, Glasgow, had been highly satisfactory, and reflected great credit on the management there. The results of the branches abroad — Johannesburg, Calcutta, and Buenos Ayres — were satisfactory, notwithstanding the great difficulties which had contended with in the way of freight, and especially regard providing their branches with the necessary stocks — their works, as they must be aware, having been mainly employed in turning out requirements for the Government,

Birmingham Daily Post – Thursday 26th September 1963

Leyland Rubber – a recovery Leyland and Birmingham Rubber reports a gentle recovery from last winter’s recession in Britain, and “for the moment there seems to be good reason to expect It to continue/” That, and the continued development of the South African company, and the transfer of Mitcham Rubber’s production to Leyland seem to augur well for 1963/4.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Eastfields Road

Road that continues eastward from Locks Lane to the level crossing at Mitcham Eastfields station. All properties currently have the postcode CR4 2LS.

On this 1953 OS map, houses, that are only on the north side of the road, are numbered eastward as odd from 13 to 91. As described from west to east:

a terrace of 4 houses, numbers 13 to 19;
a separate building numbered 21 which had been used as a shop with accommodation, see below;
footpath to Sandy Lane (now Public Right of Way 147);
a row of 6 houses numbered 27 to 37;
number 39 was demolished due to bomb damage in WW2;
a gap which is now Roper Way;
a terrace of 5 houses numbered 49 to 57;
a terrace of 3 houses numbered 59 to 63;
a terrace of 3 houses numbered 67 to 73;
then Rialto Road;
a terrace of 4 houses divided into 2 flats each, numbered 75 to 91.

1953 OS map

This earlier OS map from 1894 shows that the road was part of Tamworth Lane, separated from the rest of it by the railway that was constructed in 1868.

1894 OS map

The 1914 electoral register lists the following occupants in Eastfields Road:

Martin’s Cottage, Edward ROGERS
Primrose Cottage, Richard TOOGOOD
Bird’s Cottage, James McATTEER
10 Rosemary Villas, Charles WILSON
9 Rosemary Villas, John GODDEN
7 Rosemary Villas, George Wheldon HEPWORTH
6 Rosemary Villas, Henry WOODS
4 Rosemary Villas, John Frederick WADE
1 Rosemary Villas, William Valentine BENSTEAD

George TURNER is listed as Eastfields Road only

The 1925 street directory lists properties from Lock’s Lane:

Richard C. TOOGOOD, shopkeeper

Rosemary Villas
10, George Wheldon HEPWORTH
9, Samuel AULD
8, James SULLIVAN
7, Mrs WILSON
6, Mrs WOODS
5, Albert Edward MEPHAM
4, Percy Charles RIGGS
3, Andrew DUNNING
2, Henry WOODS, pig dealer
1, William V BENSTEAD

Kirby Cottage, Charles DAVISON, stock breeder

George Wheldon HEPWORTH had married Elizabeth Amelia WOODS, daughter of Henry WOODS, in 1911. The Henry Woods at no. 2 in the 1925 directory was his son, as Henry Woods senior died in 1922.

Elizabeth Hepworth nee Woods. Photo kindly provided by a descendant of the family.

Woods family gathering, believed to be in Rosemary Villas. Photo kindly provided by a descendant of the family.

The road was renumbered in 1929/30 as the 1929 electoral register shows these named houses, but the 1930 register and onwards show them as numbered.

This table shows the number or name of the house in 1929, then the number in 1930 and the surname of the occupants in 1930.

1929 1930 Occupants
1 13 MILLER
2 15 PENEGAR
3 17 EDWARDS
4 19 SCOTT
Stables Stables GUYATT
Primrose Cottage 21 TOOGOOD, STEWART
10 Rosemary Villas 33 HEPWORTH
9 Rosemary Villas 35 AULT
8 Rosemary Villas 37 SULLIVAN
7 Rosemary Villas 39 EXCELL
6 Rosemary Villas 47 WOODS
5 Rosemary Villas 49 MEPHAM
4 Rosemary Villas 51 RIGGS
3 Rosemary Villas 53 DUNNING
2 Rosemary Villas 55 WOODS
1 Rosemary Villas 57 BENSTEAD
Kirby Cottage 65 DAVISON

1934 OS map

Eastfields Corner

These houses, numbers 13, 15, 17 and 19, were owned by Renshaw, the marzipan factory in Locks Lane and initially rented out to staff. It was known as “Eastfields Corner”.

No. 21

The shop at no. 21 used by John Jayson after WW2. He had originally a grocers shop at 2 Fernlea Road which had been bombed in the war. A fellow on the Facebook group Mitcham History said that there was a wood yard at the back where, as a child, he would take cardboard for it to be weighed and exchanged for a few pennies.

At number 21 was Rogers Estate Agents, at least between 1959 and 1973. Listed in the 1973 Mitcham Chamber of Commerce booklet with telephone number 648 8527, and shown in this 1959 ad:

20th February 1959 ad in Norwood News

In March 1954 planning permission was given for 40 lock-up garages to be built at the rear and side.

This property was in use as an estate agents up to 2002, after which it was empty and was bought by Merton Council with a Compulsory Purchase Order on 17th December 2009. It was redeveloped in 2014 as flats, as described in planning application 13/P1383:

Demolition of the existing two-bedroom property at 21 Eastfields Road and the adjacent 40 domestic garages and construction of a new three-storey building providing 21 flats [9 three bedroom flats and 12 one bedroom flats] with 14 off street car parking spaces with vehicular access on to Eastfields Road, landscaping and a freestanding building providing cycle and bin storage.

The flats are numbered sequentially from 1 to 21, with the address of 21 Eastfields Road.

39

This house was added to the row of 6 houses numbered 27 to 37 in around 2009/10, as described in planning application 09/P0193:

Erection of a part one, part two storey end of terrace 2 bedroom dwelling house

The original number 39 had been damaged in WW2, and the rebuilt house reproduced the frontage in keeping with the rest of the terrace:

Front elevation of no. 37 and 39 from planning application

71

At number 71 was W. Steptowe & Sons, boot and shoe repairers.


News Articles and Ads
The newspaper articles below are via the British Newspaper Archive

From The Evening Herald (Dublin) Saturday 30th August 1930

A few minutes after Mr and Mrs Albert EXCELL and their five-year-old son, Johnny, of Eastfields Road, Mitcham, had left their bedroom at 2 a.m. the house was struck by lightning and plaster fell in large sheets from the ceiling on to the bed.

Newsagents T.G. COOPER, 96, Eastfield Road, stocked ‘Action’, a newspaper of the British Union of Fascists, according to this ad of 23rd July 1938:

23rd July 1938 ad in Action


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.