Tag Archives: 2017

120 to 154 Morden Road

120 to 154 Morden Road, Mitcham CR4 4DB, is a terrace of shops with flats above. It is on the north side of Morden Road, at the right hand side of the entrance to Deer Park Gardens. To its right is Ravensbury Path, which crosses the tram line and connects to Church Path.

Photo taken December 2017.

The tower is on the west end of the block. It houses the stairwell leading to the first and second floors. Photo taken December 2017.

Locally listed June 1994, Merton council says:

This is a terrace of inter war shops with flats over, which is built of brick. It is a three storey building, in which the top floor is contained within a mansard roof. The main frontage contains little of particular interest except for the glazed green tiles on the steeper of the slopes of the mansard roof. The end of the terrace has an unusual round tower feature surmounted by a pyramidal roof with the same green tiles. The brickwork on this tower also contains small details of interest. The chimneys at each end of the building are also of some interest, as they follow a curved line at first floor level. It should also be noted that almost all of the original details relating to the shopfronts has now been lost, and that original windows have almost all been replaced. The end elevation which is of greatest interest is disfigured by a large advertising hoarding.

Some of the original wall design is now visible due to changes in signs above the shops.

Photo taken December 2017.

1952 OS map

Stanmore Motors was at number 120. It is listed in the 1954 and 1971 telephone directories as MITcham 2796, and 01-648 2796.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Mitcham Workhouse Wall

The last part of the crenellated wall from the Mitcham Workhouse on Mitcham Common has been demolished. This clip from the Tom Francis collection, available on Merton Memories, is from 1895 and shows the wall when the site was occupied by the Woodite company.

Clip from Merton Memories photo 33222, copyright London Borough of Merton.

These photos were taken on 5th July 2017, in Windmill Road, near the corner with Commonside East:

The Manager of Mitcham Common said in July 2017:

It’s my understanding that the remaining wall is unstable and will shortly be demolished and replaced by a wall and fence design very similar to the one that exists along the southern and eastern boundaries of The Meadows estate.

As far as I’m aware there was no condition placed on the planning consent which required the developer to maintain the extant crenellated wall.

The new wall was photographed on 6th September, 2017:

Fair Green Bus Street was finished – then dug up for gas mains

Work started in July 2016 as part of the Rediscover Mitcham Project, to convert the pedestrianised street, between the Kings Arms and white Lion pubs, to a ‘bus street’. This appeared to have been completed in January 2017.

Then it was dug up again to lay gas mains, and this is ongoing in July 2017, one year after the work started.

Photo taken 22nd January 2017

Photo taken 22nd January 2017

Photo taken 3rd July 2017

Photo taken 3rd July 2017

Photo taken 3rd July 2017

Photo taken 3rd July 2017. See www.sgn.co.uk for details.

Photo taken 3rd July 2017. No details are available on Conway’s website

Cricketers pub building demolition

Photo taken 22nd May 2017.

Photo taken 22nd May 2017.

Photo taken 22nd May 2017.

Photo taken 22nd May 2017.

Photo taken 22nd May 2017.

Photo taken 23rd May 2017

Photo taken 23rd May 2017

Photo taken 23rd May 2017

Photo taken 25th May 2017

Photo taken 25th May 2017

Photo taken 25th May 2017

Photo taken 30th May 2017

Photo taken 30th May 2017

Photo taken 30th May 2017

Photo taken 30th May 2017

Phipps Bridge footbridge over Wandle

According to Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories: 8 Phipps Bridge, page 12,

the present bridge, … dates to the mid-1950s and replaced a World War II ‘Bailey’ bridge

In May 2016, the bridge was closed for repairs, and a new bridge was opened in February 2017. See also report by the contractor involved in the restoration.

Photo taken 7th March 2017

Photo taken 7th March 2017

Photo taken 7th March 2017


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.