Tag Archives: Bridge Road

Bridge Road

Road that was off east, or right-hand, side of Christchurch Road, opposite Runnymede. It was closed in 1966.

In this 1952 OS map, the road is shown with a single terrace of eleven houses on the north side, numbered sequentially 1 to 11.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

Aerial photo from 1947 shows the row of houses on the left side of the road.

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

29th April 1947 from Britain From Above

Aerial photo from 1949 shows the road looking to the west. The dome atop the tower on the right was Frys Metals factory.

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

19th March 1949 from Britain From Above

It is not mentioned in the 1891 street directory, but there are two houses listed in the 1896 street directory and all eleven in the 1904 street directory:

1896

1, James CAVENDER, stationer
2, John STOPHER, greengrocer

1904

1, James CAVENDER, stationer
2, Arthur Thomas THORNS, greengrocer
3, Auburn Frederick ISACKE
4, Austin C HOLLANDS
5, William SHARPE
6, Arthur Albert FRISBY
7, Charles TAYLOR
8, Arthur SWINDELL
9, Robert SWINDELL
10, Edwin YOUNG
11, William YOUNG

The road was closed in 1966:

Bridge Road is to be closed down

Bridge Road, a cul-de-sac off Christchurch Road, Mitcham is to be closed. Merton Council have given planning permission to Frys Metal Foundries Ltd., for redevelopment which involves the closing of the road.

The road was originally the principle means of access to residential properties which have since been demolished. It now serves the factory premises only.

RIGHTS OF ACCESS

The council agreed to give permission provided the council’s right of adequate access to the public sewers were preserved.

Also provided that the owner of the factory should take over the responsibility for the street lamps and cables in the road, and also bear any costs incurred in closing the road.

Frys have also offered land near Bridge Road to the council free of charge for the proposed widening of Christchurch Road. The offer has been accepted.

Source: Mitcham News & Mercury, 13th May, 1966, page 1.

Occupants in 1939

1, Leonard Douglas and Elizabeth HAYNES
2, Mary Jane and Rosa FISK
3, William Charles and Alice Louisa and Christopher ADAMS
4, James and Maude BURLING
5, Robert and Gertrude MARSHALL
6, Alfred and Mabel Frances FORD
7, Robert and Doris May TAYLOR; Edith Mahala FRISWELL
8, James Alfred and Sarah Ellen DURLING
9, Henry William and Rose Florence and Florance DALTON
10, Ernest John and Flora BURLING
11, Charles Walter and Susan FRANCIS


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1902 Inspector Rabbett’s Report to the Parochial Committee

From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume 8
1902 to 1903
Mitcham Parochial
29th April 1902
pages 66 and 67

9. INSPECTOR RABBETTS’ REPORT.

—Inspector Rabbets reported that since the last meeting, he had paid 250 visits to premises of which, 27 were primary inspections. Four visits had been made to slaughterhouses, three to dairies and cow-sheds, and four to piggeries.

Nuisances had been abated at 1 to 4, Rosemary Cottages ; ” Nursery Cottage,” and No. 6, Nursery Road ; 17, Fountain Road ; Blume’s Factory ; 6 and 7, Manor Villas ; 3, 4, and 7, Upper Green ; and 1 to 8, Bridge Road.

The drains of 14 houses had been primarily tested, and 12 tests had been applied to drains in course of re-construction. Two patients had been removed to hospital, and two houses had been disinfected.

The nuisance arising from all accumulation of filth and stagnant water at Orchard Pit, Westfields, was being abated, and the wooden pigsty would become disused as soon as the concrete one, now being constructed, was completed.