North side of Church Road, west of junction with Church Place.
According to Montague, in his Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 84,
… their less-steeply pitched roofs suggest they are early 19th century, when cheap slate was becoming readily available … possibly erected by Oxtoby and Sons.
From right to left in this photo are numbers 34, 36, 38, and 40.
Note that this part of Church Road was previously called Church Street, as in the title of Montague’s book mentioned above, and shown in this map from 1910.
World War 1 Connections
From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:
V G STOKES of 40 Church Street, Mitcham, aged 19 Years 1 Months, Labourer. Volunteered on 15 June 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment.
Private Victor Stokes is mentioned in the Mitcham War Memorial blog.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.