Tag Archives: directory

1860 Blower’s Directory for Architects, Builders etc.

Mitcham entries from the 1860 Blower’s Architect’s, Surveyor’s, Engineer’s and Builder’s Directory.

ARCHITECTS

Edwin CHART, Upper Mitcham

BRICKMAKERS

William MEEARS, Merton Lane

BUILDERS

James BASS, Merton Road
Arthur DODD, Upper Mitcham
Samuel KILLICK, Lower Mitcham
Thomas RUSSELL, Church Street

CARPENTERS

W. FOSTER, Church Street
Thomas LAWRENCE, Merton Lane

IRONMONGERS

Stringer Thomas HAMPTON, Upper Mitcham green

PLUMBERS, PAINTERS, GLAZIERS, PAPER HANGERS, & MANUFACTURERS

James BOYS
William GULLAND, Lower Mitcham
Henry HAYDON, High Street, Upper Mitcham
Major VIDLER

SURVEYORS

Edwin CHART, Upper Mitcham

VARNISH MANUFACTURERS

Paul ADDINGTON, Phipp’s Bridge
Wm. HARLAND & Sons, Phipp’s Bridge
Wm. LATHAM, Merton Lane
NOBLE, Lower Mitcham

1896 Street Directory

Agriculture
Benevolent Institution
Board Schools
Churches
Clubs, Societies etc.
Description of Mitcham
Land area and population statistics
Landowners
Manors
Missions
Parochial Officers and Public Institutions
Places of Worship
Railway Stations
Schools


Description of Mitcham

… (in Domesday Book called “ Michelham ”) is a parish and extensive village on the river Wandle and the Reigate road, with a station called Mitcham junction on the London, Brighton and South Coast railway; the Wimbledon and West Croydon line forms a junction here with the above line, and has a station at Lower Mitcham;

Distances to London and Croydon

it is 9 miles south-west from Westminster bridge and 3 north-west from Croydon ;

Divisions and Districts

the parish is in the North Eastern division of the county, Wallington hundred, Croydon union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Beddington, archdeaconry of Kingston and diocese of Rochester, and is under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan police. The village is lighted with gas by a company, and supplied with water from works at Ditton, the property of the Lambeth Water Co.

Churches

The church of SS. Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1821, is a building of flint, covered with cement, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled tower on the north-east, with pinnacles and containing 8 bells: there are 1,100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, average yearly value from tithe rent-charge £356, net income £500, with residence, in the gift of William Simpson esq. and held since 1859 by the Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, and surrogate.

Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish, formed August 10, 1875, out of the parish of Mitcham: the church, in Church road, is a building of white brick with stone facings, in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with shingled spire, containing 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1876. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the widow of William John Harris esq. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Francis Stewart Legg M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

The Catholic chapel, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and erected in 1889, has 320 sittings. Here is also a Congregational chapel with 350 sittings, and a Free Methodist chapel,erected in 1882 and seating 250 persons, also a Baptist chapel, seating 200 persons.

A Cemetery of 23 acres was formed in 1883 at a cost of £2,800 ; it has one mortuary chapel, and is under the control of the Parish Council, acting as a Burial Board.

Miss Tate’s Almshouses, on Lower Mitcham green, built and endowed in 1829, are for twelve females above 55 years of age ; the endowment is in £5,800 Consols; other charities, producing £130 yearly, are for distribution.

The fair is held yearly, on the 12th, 13th and 14th of August.

Sir Walter Raleigh lived at Mitcham; Dr. John Donne, dean of St. Paul’s in 1620, was also a resident. Gorringe Park is the residence of the widow of William John Harris esq.

Manors

The manors are four in number, viz : — Biggin and Tamworth, Ravensbury, Mitcham and Fauxhail. The first two are held by the Conservators of Mitcham Common, Mitcham manor by W. F. J. Simpson, and Fauxhail by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners ; these last two have assigned their rights over Mitcham Common to the Conservators.

Landowners

The principal landowners are Mrs. Harris, G. P. Bidder, John Watney and W. F. J. Simpson, esqrs. and the trustees of the late Rev. H. W. Sibthorp.

Agriculture

The soil, a rich black mould with gravel subsoil, is laid out partly in market gardens and partly for medicinal plants, such as roses, rhubarb, liquorice, lavender, mint, camomile, poppies, peppermint, wormwood and aniseed; some of these are used for the manufacture of cordials and perfumes, particularly peppermint water, oil of lavender and rose water.

There are numerous mills on the river Wandle.

Land area and population statistics

The area is 2,893 acres of land and 22 of water; rateable value, £55,392, and the population in 1871 was 6,498, in 1881 : 8,960, and in 1891 : 12,127, including 914 in the Holborn Union Workhouse and 518 in the Holborn Union Workhouse Industrial School (SS. Peter and Paul district in 1891 was 9,325; Christ Church district in 1891 was 2,802).

Parochial Officers and Public Institutions

MITCHAM PARISH COUNCIL.

Chairman Thomas Allen, Grove road
William Catt, London road, Lower Mitcham
John R. Chart, Upper Mitcham
Charles Dungate, Colliers wood, Mitcham
Stephen Gregory, Merton lane
Charles M. Hallward, Lower green
Harbour William, 6 Park villas, Park road
F. Jones, Brenley, Tamworth park
John M. Leather, Eastfields
Alfred Mizen, Eastfields
Ernest E. Mizen, Eastfields
Rev. Robert Richman, Douglas house, High st
John Stickings, Railway cottages, Lower Mitcham
The Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. The Vicarage, Mitcham
Churchwardens, H. Rutter & T. P. Harvey
Overseers, William Catt, E. E. Mizen, Thomas Francis, William Harbour & S. Gregory
Vestry Clerk & Clerk to the Parish Council, Robert M.Chart F.S.I. Vestry hall, Mitcham

CROYDON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL,
Vestry hall, Lower green, Mitcham.

ELECTED MEMBERS FOR MITCHAM.

Mizen Edward Johnson, jun. Oakleigh, Eastfields, Mitcham
Pitt Mrs. Priscilla, Berkeley house, Mitcham
Simpson W F. J. Park place, Mitcham
Tomlin Francis, Upper green, Mitcham
Clerk to Rural District Council, James Wilson, 49 London road, Croydon
Consulting Surveyor to the Council, R. M. Chart F.S.I
Surveyor, Charles Law Green C.E
Surveyor’s Assistant, James Heath
Collector of Poor Rates, Samuel Love, 13 Glebe villas, Mitcham
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, No. 6 District, Croydon Union, Edward Marshall
Medical Officer of Health, Croydon Union & Rural District Council, L. W. Darra Mair M.D., D.P.H. 49 London road, Croydon & Fieleside, Beddington lane, Beddington
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages & Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Frederick Garniss Ebbutt, Lower green
Metropolitan Police Station (W Division), Causeway, Lower Mitcham, Station-Sergeant George Pomeroy, in charge & 4 section sergeants & 19 constables
Merton Fire Brigade, High street, Colliers wood, Merton; Charles E. S. Bill, capt. ; Frederick James Chadwick, supt
Mitcham Fire Brigade Station, Lower green, George Haselden, superintendent
Collector of Taxes,Daniel Sewell, Upper green
Sanitary Inspector for the Rural District Council of Croydon, Levi White, 10 King’s road, Upper Mitcham Holborn Union Workhouse, for 1,052 in¬mates, Western road; T. W. Norman, master ; Mrs. G. Norman, matron ; Rev. Sydney Jackson, chaplain ; Oscar Berridge Shelsweli L.R.C.P.Lond.,M.R.C.S.Eng. medical officer
Croydon Rural District Council Sewage Works Pumping Station, Byegrove road, Henry James Snook, manager
Turncock, H.J.Schneider, 2 Finboro’ rd.Tooting

Places of Worship

with times of Services.

SS. Peter & Paul’s Church, Church rd. Rev. Daniel Frederic Wilson M.A. vicar; 8.30 & 11 a.m. & 3.30 & 7p.m.; thurs. 7.30p.m.; saints’ days, 4 p.m

Christ Church, Church road, Merton, Rev. Fras. Stewart Legg M.A. vicar ; 11 a.m. & 7 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.; saints’ days, 4p.m

School Church (St. Mark’s Mission District), Rev. W.M.C. McAllister B.A. Radstock house, Cedars avenue, mission clergyman; 8 & 11 a.m. & 7 p.m

SS. Peter & Paul, Catholic, Causeway, Lower Mitcham, Rev. John Warner ; 7.30 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m

Baptist Chapel, Clarendon grove, Upper Mitcham, Rev. J. Thorold Figg, 3 Sandown villas, Grove road, pastor ; services, sun. 11 а.m. & 6.30 p.m

Baptist Church, Longley road, Tooting Graveney, G. H. Rumsey, 1 Havelock villas, Park road, Merton, pastor; services, sun. 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; monday, prayer meeting, 7.30 p.m. ; thurs. service, 7.30 p.m. & Saturday 7.30 p.m

Congregational, Zion, Upper green, Rev. Robert Richman, Douglas house, High street, pastor; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m

United Methodist Free Church, High street, Colliers wood, Merton, Rev. W. H. Proudlove, minister; services, sun. 11 a.m. & б.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.45 p.m

United Methodist Free Church, Lower green, Rev. Henry Codling, minister; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7 p.m

Gospel Hall, Longley road, Tooting Graveney

Woodite Chapel, Mitcham Common

Missions

Baptist Mission Room, Crown rd. Morden rd

Mission Room, Bath road

Christ Church Mission Room, Church road, Merton

Parish Church Mission Room, Rock terrace, Mitcham

Parish Church Mission Room, Half-Acre

Salvation Army Barracks, Gladstone road

Board Schools

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1871, increased to 9 in 1886; W. J. Dickisson, Causeway, Lower Mitcham, clerk to the school board ; Thomas Tomkins, 4 King’s road, Grove road, attendance officer

Lower green, Mitcham, formerly National school & transferred to school board in 1871, for 260 boys, 100 girls & 160 infants; average attendance, 230 boys, 90 girls & 90 infants ; Thomas A. Compton, master ; Miss E. Rutherford, mistress ; Miss Caroline Brooks, infants’ mistress

Lower Green Boys’ School (temporary); George R. Waters, master

Killick’s lane, Upper Mitcham, built in 1884, for 400 girls & infants ; average attendance, 148 girls & 158 infants ; Miss Annie Fawcett, mistress; Miss Alice Sears, infants’ mistress

Singlegate, Church road, Merton, erected in 1874, boys, girls & infants; average attendance, 200 boys, 133 girls & 209 infants & enlarged in 1884; William Harbour master ; Miss A. Campbell, mistress ; Miss Mary Edwards, infants’ mistress

Schools

British, Upper green (girls & infants), erected in 1842, for 250 children ; average attend-ance, 240 ; Miss E. Kenyon, mistress

Christ Church Sunday Schools, Church road, Merton

Lower Mitcham, Catholic (mixed), erected about 1867, for 120 children; average at-tendance, 90; Miss Sarah M. Dawson, mist

Holborn Union Industrial, High street, Upper Mitcham, William George Benton, superintendent; Mrs. Annie Benton, matron ; Thomas R. Knight, schoolmaster; Miss Elizabeth Boto, schoolmistress

Benevolent Institution

Almshouses, Causeway, Lower Mitcham

Clubs, Societies etc.

Convalescent Home, 92 Longley road, Tooting Graveney; Miss Caroline Goldsmid, proprietress ; Miss Julia Salinger, matron

Liberty Hall, The Broadway, Mitcham

Mitcham Conservative & Unionist Club, Upper green, H. W. White, sec

Mitcham District Mutual Building Society, Vestry hall, Mitcham ; G. T. Hodges, sec

Prince’s Golf Club, Mitcham common; Robt. H. Cox, managing director

Village Club & Working Men’s Institute, High street, Colliers wood, Merton

Railway Stations

L. B. & S. C. Railway.

Mitcham Junction, Horace William B. East- land, station master

Lower Mitcham, Walter Thomas Martin, station master