Tag Archives: Morden Hall

1941 Agreement between Mitcham and Morden Councils to keep Morden Hall Park open to the public

Source: The Mitcham and Colliers Wood Gazette, 7th July 1941

A conference of representatives of the Mitcham Borough Council and the Merton and Morden Council has agreed to recommend both Councils to support the National Trust in keeping Morden Hall Estate open to the public.

The conference considered correspondence with the National Trust with regard to the offer which has been made to the Trust by the executors of the late Mr. Gilliat E. Hatfeild affecting the Morden Hall Estate.

The Park is about 105 acres in extent, of which 50 acres is in Merton and Morden and 55 acres in Mitcham, and the offer includes the park, mansion, cottages and properties adjoining

If the offer is accepted by the National Trust an endowment fund will be handed over with the property. An estimate of anticipated income and expenditure shows a probable deficit of £175 a year, after taking into account the income from the endowment and rents of cottages and other properties.

The conference was informed that if the Trust could be given an assurance that the Mitcham and Merton and Morden Councils would be willing to contribute towards any loss there may be on the upkeep of Morden Hall Park the Trust will be willing to accept the bequest.

The conference reached the following decisions unanimously :

To recommend the Mitcham and Merton and Morden Councils to give an assurance to the National Trust that on the understanding that Morden Hall Park is to be kept as an open space free to the public, any deficit approximating to that shown in the draft budget received from the Trust will be met by the two Councils; and

To recommend that any such deficit be shared equally by the Mitcham and Merton and Morden Councils.

1906 Death of Mr Hatfeild at Morden Hall

DEATH OF MR HATFEILD AT MORDEN HALL

On Saturday last there died at his residence Morden Hall, Merton, at the age of 79, one of the best known men in the tobacco world, Mr Gilliat Hatfeild.

Mr Hatfeild, who was reputed a millionaire, was senior partner in the famous old firm all Taddy and Co., Minories, whose establishment dates as far back as 1730.

The firm of Taddy has been closely associated with the snuff trade. Snuff was its staple product. Although of late years this has ceased to make the old appeal to the public taste, “Taddy’s” “Tom Buck” “Black Rappee” and “Brown Rappee” are well known to and largely affected by snuff takers.

Attached to the fine park which Morden Hall stands are snuff mills. Hither the raw material is brought from London, manufactured, and carted back in its manufactured state to town. It is doubtful whether large fortunes are to be made in the snuff trade now, but more recently thhere is said to have been a certain revival of the snuff habit.

Mr Hatfeild’s funeral Took place on Wednesday at Kensal Green Cemetery at ten minutes to two.

One of the deceased’s daughters is a well-known dog fancier, and another daughter it will be remembered is the wife of Mr T.A. Meates, formerly chairman of the Wimbledon Bench of magistrates.

Source: Wimbledon Boro’ News, 17th February, 1906

His son, Gilliat Edward Hatfeild, refused to sell his estate to property developers. He died in 1941 and left Morden Hall Park to the National Trust.