Tag Archives: pubs

1939 : Rateable value of pubs

From Mitcham Borough Council Minutes, vilome 5, 1938-39, page 641

Pub Address Present RV Proposed
RV
Albion Church Road £147 £238
Bath Tavern Belgrave Road £68 £120
Beehive Commonside East £62 £109
Buck’s Head London Road £152 £297
Bull Church Road £103 £180
Cricketers London Road £129 £197
Crown London Road £165 £305
Fountain Western Road £48 £144
Gardeners Arms London Road £140 £447
Goat Inn Carshalton Road £125 £222
Gorringe Park Hotel London Road £260 £663
Horse and Groom Tamworth Lane £172 £330
King’s Arms London Road £162 £280
Kings Head London Road £162 £288
Old Nag’s Head Upper Green West £172 £251
Prince of Wales Western Road £113 £267
Queen’s Head Lower Green £80 £184
Ravensbury Arms Croydon Road £80 £155
Ravensbury Tavern Morden Road £44 £330
Red Lion High Street SW19 £463 £663
Royal Six Bells High Street SW19 £130 £205
Royal Standard High Street SW19 £83 £163
Star Church Road £87 £217
Surrey Arms Morden Road £188 £313
Swan London Road £190 £388
Three Kings Commonside East £168 £290
Victory High Street SW19 £216 £301
White Hart London Road £205 £330
Windmill Commonside East £48 £101

Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Pollard Oak

In 1949 the Pollards Hill estate tenants petitioned Mitcham Council for a local pub, and they responded by offering a plot of ground in Chestnut Grove to Whitbreads the brewers. Two ex-army Nissen huts were used for the public and saloon bars and in 1960 a permanent building was completed and opened. By the mid 1990s, refurbished and renamed the Oak and Acorn, the pub included a restaurant. Demolished around 2001.

Source: page 112 “Mitcham Histories: 3 Pollards Hill, Commonside East and Lonesome” by E.N. Montague, published by the Merton Historical Society. ISBN 1 903899 14 1

1950 Pollard Oak

Merton Memories Photos

When reopened in 1959
Undated black and white
1989 colour

Planning Application 00/P2454 approved 25th January 2001 for 14 3-bed houses, by Tower Homes, London & Quadrant Housing Association.