Captain Ralph William Ewart Stickings, O.B.E (1919), son of John Stickings, of Mitcham, Surrey.
Born 1895. Educated Rutlish School, Merton, King’s College London and Royal College of Science.
Married in 1919 to Dora Sybil, daughter of Charles Sayers, of Mitcham, Surrey; 3 sons, 1 daughter.
Joined R.A.M.C. 1916, served in Great War 1916-19, captain 1916, retired 1919.
J.P. (1939-41) Surrey.
Carisbrooke, Westbury Drive, Brentwood, Essex (Brentwood 592) : c/o May & Baker Ltd., Dagenham, Essex (Ilford 3060).
Source: Kelly’s Handbook to the Titled, Landed & Official Classes, 1952 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)
Currently known as ‘La Sporta Community Centre’, the land at the corner of Church Path and Church Road was bought in 1936 by Mitcham Borough Council from Donald Stair Drewitt (or Drewett?). They built a maternity and child welfare centre, around 1939. After health services transferred from the local council to the health authorities, the building became Lasporta Community Centre in 1993. It was sold in 2012 for £300,000.
The freehold title for this property is TGL88228, which contains in its Charges Register a covenant that states that no housing should be built on the site, nor should there be any trade or business detrimental to the neighbouring
This building is not mentioned in the Mitcham Borough Health Report for the year 1939, but is in 1940. The Parish Rooms at Lower Green West were last mentioned in 1939 so it is assumed that its functions transferred to this building at the same time.
Council minutes from 14th February 1939 say that the builder was Charles Sayers & Sons Ltd, whose bid was £4,586. Source: page 375, Mitcham Borough Council minutes, volume 5.
1953 OS map
The building was also used as an ante-natal clinic, holding mothercraft clases, a parentcraft circle, a post-natal clinic and for diptheria immunisation.
Prior to being sold in 2012, the building was used as the ‘La Sporta Community Centre’.
From the minutes of the Mitcham Parish Council of 25th January 1909
The following letter from the Clerk to the Croydon Rural District Council was read :—
TOWN HALL, CROYDON. 25th JANUARY, 1909.
MITCHAM ALLOTMENTS : SLAUGHTERING OF PIGS.
I am directed to forward the subjoined copy of a resolution passed by the District Council at their last meeting, and to ask that you will bring the same before the Parrish Council.
E. J. GOWEN,
R. M. CHART, Esq., Clerk of the Mitcham Parish Council.
” The Medical Officer reported that in the course of Mr. Rabbetts’ inspection of the Piggeries on the Mitcham Allotments he found two pigs had recently been slaughtered and dressed in a shed belonging to Mr. William Sayers, who resides at 1, Clifton Cottages, Miles Lane, Mitcham. The shed was constructed of wood with concrete floor, and had a copper in it for heating water, which was obtained from a surface well close to the Piggeries. Mr. Rabbetts cautioned Mr. Sayers against using this shed as a slaughterhouse a few months ago, when he found that a pig had been slaughtered there. The Committee directed the attention of the Mitcham Parish Council be called to the circumstances, with a view to the prohibition by them of a continuation of this practice.”
1) Miles Lane, now called Miles Road, is shown in this map of 1910
2) Before 1915, Mitcham was part of the Croydon Rural District Council.
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Parish Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.