Tag Archives: 2012

Peggy Payne, hairdressers

Was at 67 Eastfields Road, listed in 1954 telephone directory as number MIT 3672. Closed between 2009 and 2014, when the shop became part of the Sre Ramana convenience store next door at number 69.

2012 view on Google Street View:

clip from photo, c. 1956, Merton Memories, copyright London Borough of Merton. The hairdressers shop is on the left.

Gardeners Arms Pub Sign

The Gardeners Arms pub, 107 London Road, Mitcham, had a heraldic style sign hanging from a post in the centre of the wall on the upper floor. In November 2017, the sign couldn’t be found by the new landlord.

There are three photographs on Merton Memories, and none show a sign attached, for example, this one from 1989:

Clip from Merton Memories photo Mit_21_11-2 copyright London Borough of Merton.

This undated black an white photo shows flower baskets hanging from the wall:

Clip from Merton Memories photo Mit_21_11-1 copyright London Borough of Merton.

The late Eric Montague, of the Merton Historical Society, took a slide of 109 & 111 London Road in 1966, and this included the pub, which has no sign.

A 1973 photo on the Collage collection also doesn’t show the sign:

1973

The only photograph found so far showing the sign is from Google Street View, from 2008:-

The sign is blurred when zooming in, but what can be seen is shield with a blue background, a white chevron with two objects above and three or more below. The shield has two supporters, one of which may be a gardener. The Surrey Coats of Arms, online at the Surrey History centre website, have been searched for Mitcham arms, and none of these have a field of blue with a white chevron.

Street View of 2012 shows no sign:

2012

Connect House

Office building, 21 Willow Lane, Mitcham, CR4 4FL.

Bought on 29th January 2015 for £3,100,000 by CONNECT HOUSE LTD (Co. Regn. No. 9296558) of Unit 9, Ravensdale Industrial Estate, Timberwharf Road, London N16 6DB. Source: Land Registry, title number TGL100496, obtained November 2017.

The land was used to grow watercress by Gaston DUTRIEZ, who bought the property from William Francis Joseph SIMPSON in 1922. Source: Land Registry title and 1930 Commercial directory.

In 2012, Google Street View shows the building as Connect House Serviced Offices, by a company called Frendcastle. On 8th November 2017, BBC London reported that the building was being used by four local councils as temporary housing, with rooms costing between £30 and £40 per night. A Royal Mail postcode search for the address shows 84 flats.

2016 Street View

2012 Street View

1938 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

McDonalds

First McDonalds restaurant opened in Mitcham in 1988 at 1 Majestic Way. It closed after 24 years on 8th September 2012. When questioned about the closure on their website, they replied:

Closing the Mitcham McDonald’s restaurant was not a decision we took lightly, but as we constantly review our estate, we decided not to renew it’s lease. There is another restaurant in Tooting which is only 1.7 miles away. With over 1,200 restaurants across the UK, it’s essential that we continue to have the right restaurants in the right places to ensure we stay relevant and convenient for our customers.

Clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​5_​1-63 copyright London Borough of Merton

Church Road Welfare Centre

Currently known as ‘La Sporta Community Centre’, the land at the corner of Church Path and Church Road was bought in 1936 by Mitcham Borough Council from Donald Stair Drewitt (or Drewett?). They built a maternity and child welfare centre, around 1939. After health services transferred from the local council to the health authorities, the building became Lasporta Community Centre in 1993. It was sold in 2012 for £300,000.

The freehold title for this property is TGL88228, which contains in its Charges Register a covenant that states that no housing should be built on the site, nor should there be any trade or business detrimental to the neighbouring
property
.

This building is not mentioned in the Mitcham Borough Health Report for the year 1939, but is in 1940. The Parish Rooms at Lower Green West were last mentioned in 1939 so it is assumed that its functions transferred to this building at the same time.

Council minutes from 14th February 1939 say that the builder was Charles Sayers & Sons Ltd, whose bid was £4,586. Source: page 375, Mitcham Borough Council minutes, volume 5.

1953 OS map

The building was also used as an ante-natal clinic, holding mothercraft clases, a parentcraft circle, a post-natal clinic and for diptheria immunisation.


2009 La Sporta

2009

Prior to being sold in 2012, the building was used as the ‘La Sporta Community Centre’.


2016

2016