Tag Archives: 2008

Sunshine Way – Ownership

Sunshine Way, Mitcham, Surrey CR4 3HQ (all houses in this road, including the flats, have the same postcode).

This is a crescent-shaped road off the south side of Bond Road in Mitcham.

1952 OS Map

Number 1 is on the corner with Bond Road, and is separated by a footpath from the eastern square of houses, numbered odd from 2 to 29. The square was originally a grass playing area that was turned into car parking spaces in 1991. See planning permission 91/P0276.

Number 31 Sunshine way is a block of 20 flats, named Donald Lynch House, numbered 1 to 20 sequentially, that was built on playing fields between the two squares. Planning application MER940/73 suggests that this was built in late 1973, early 1974.

The Welcome Hall and caretaker’s house is separate and south of the flats. This was converted, in 1994/5, into housing, numbered 37A and 37B. See planning permission 94/P0245.

The southern square has houses numbered odd from 39 to 61. Like the eastern square, its grass playing area was converted to car parking, in 1994. See planning permission 94/P0246.

Number 63 is on the south-western corner with Bond Road and is also separated by an alleyway from the southern square.

The inner circle of houses are numbered even from 2 to 18. Numbers 8 to 14 were originally ‘sunshine’ houses, with an open roof area for TB patients to sleep in the open air. These areas have since been converted to bedrooms.

Numbers 1 and 8 to 14 even are registered under title SGL506115. Numbers 2, 20, and 63 are registered under title SGL396963.

The road itself, the squares numbered 3 to 29, and 39 to 61, are shown on the Land Registry Title Plan as under title TGL21177, which was originally registered on 24th January, 1936.

The registered owner of these titles is

THE RIVERSIDE GROUP LIMITED (Industrial and Provident Society No. IP30938R) of 2 Estuary Boulevard, Estuary Commerce Park, Speke, Liverpool L24 8RF.

which became owner on 20th April, 2010.

In the inner circle of houses, number 10 was sold for £170,000 on 18th July 2008. Its registered title is SGL700262, and hence was removed from title SGL506115.

Gardeners Arms Pub Sign

The Gardeners Arms pub, 107 London Road, Mitcham, had a heraldic style sign hanging from a post in the centre of the wall on the upper floor. In November 2017, the sign couldn’t be found by the new landlord.

There are three photographs on Merton Memories, and none show a sign attached, for example, this one from 1989:

Clip from Merton Memories photo Mit_21_11-2 copyright London Borough of Merton.

This undated black an white photo shows flower baskets hanging from the wall:

Clip from Merton Memories photo Mit_21_11-1 copyright London Borough of Merton.

The late Eric Montague, of the Merton Historical Society, took a slide of 109 & 111 London Road in 1966, and this included the pub, which has no sign.

A 1973 photo on the Collage collection also doesn’t show the sign:

1973

The only photograph found so far showing the sign is from Google Street View, from 2008:-

The sign is blurred when zooming in, but what can be seen is shield with a blue background, a white chevron with two objects above and three or more below. The shield has two supporters, one of which may be a gardener. The Surrey Coats of Arms, online at the Surrey History centre website, have been searched for Mitcham arms, and none of these have a field of blue with a white chevron.

Street View of 2012 shows no sign:

2012