Tag Archives: Willow Lane

Arney & Co., gelatine manufacturer

In the 1851 directory listed Arney & Co., as patent gelatine makers, Common, Upper Mitcham.

In the 1846 Repertory of Patent Inventions, Gerard Andrew Arney is listed as a gentelman, living at Mare Street, Hackney, and his patent for …

Improvements in the preparation of gelatine, and Improvements in finig or clarifying liquids. Sealed January 20, 1846.

The London Gazette, Publication date:23 April 1852 Issue:21312 Page:1163 says that the firm was a partnership name Hammond, Arney and Co. and that this partnership was dissolved:

WE hereby give notice, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, under the firm of Hammond, Arney,and Co. Gelatine Manufacturers, of Mitcham Common, Surrey, was, on the 26th day of March last, dissolved by mutual consent.

— Dated this 17th day of April 1852. Edward Hammond, Gerard Andrew Arney.

In the London Gazette later that year, the Patents Act published the patent as number 375 awarded to:

Gerard Andrew Arney, of Mitcham, in the county of Surrey, Gelatine Manufacturer, for the invention of improvements in coating or enamelling pictures, prints, paper, and other surfaces.

London Gazette, Publication date:29 October 1852 Issue:21374 Page:2843

Eric Montague, in his Mitcham Histories: 13 Willow Lane and Beddington Corner, page 98, said:

The gelatin works, remembered by Cecil Cox from his childhood in the 1840s and 50s, were leased from Cox by Gerard Arney, who, with his mother, Mrs Maria Arney, lived at Willow Lodge at the end of what today is now Arney’s Lane. The factory in 1853 had a wheel developing six hp driven by water conducted from the Wandle at Beddington Corner. Frederick Braithwaite, who visited the premises in the early 1850s, described the arrangements for supplying water to the factory as commencing with two small culverts passing underground before flowing into broad ditches to the north of a triangular island used as an osier bed. There was a fall of 18 inches which, with surface water draining from adjoining land, supplied the mill head. Arney and Company, patent gelatine makers do not seem to have lasted beyond the early 1860s, and the OS map of 1867 marks merely Willow Cottage and what appear to be two small cottages at the end of the lane from the Carshalton Road. All had disappeared completely by the 1970s, when the site was occupied in part by MJ Gleeson Ltd, builders, and partly by C Barber and Sons, haulage contractors.

Morfax Social Club Sports Ground

A sports ground that included a club pavilion that was east of the Corporation Cottages, opposite the Goat pub on Carshalton Road. It was last used by the factory Morfax, which was in Willow Lane.

Its address was Sports And Social Club Of Morfax, Carshalton Road, Mitcham CR4 4HN

This OS map from 1954 shows the outline of the pavilion building and the extent of the ground eastwards towards the railway line.

1954 OS map

Bing Maps has an aerial view of what is left of the clubhouse and ground.


There are 7 Planning applications on Sutton Council’s website:

90/P0448 : Granted 26 Jun 1990
Erection of single storey rear lounge extension to clubhouse.

86/P1340 : Granted 10 Mar 1987
Erection of changing rooms.

MER/1286/85 : Granted 4 Apr 1986
Erection of extension to existing club room.

MER/745/85 : Granted 20 Sep 1985
Extension of changing rooms.

MER/920/84 : Granted 31 Jan 1985
Erection of extension to club building involving demolition of existing buildings, to provide new servery, food preparation and beer storage areas.

MER/469/81 : Granted 13 Jan 1983
Retrospective application to erect a single-storey building for use in connection with the football club.

MER/468/81 : Granted 29 Sep 1981
Retrospective applcation for the erection of a standing encosure for spectators on northern site of the Fisher Football Club, Carshalton, Mitcham.