In Birches Close off of the Cricket Green, this locally listed Queen Anne-style building was constructed for Sir Isaac Wilson. The land and house were bequeathed on his death ‘for the well-being of Mitcham residents’ and used for health purposes; with the inception of the NHS in 1948, the site was absorbed and became under the control of the local Primary Care Trust.
In 2020, it is occupied by the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS). A notice on the front door states that the entrance to the CAMHS is at the rear.
Minutes of the Housing Committee
7th September 1945
The Town Clerk reported that upon “The Birches” being vacated by the executors of the late Sir Isaac Wilson a requisition notice had been served, following which a communication had been received from the Surrey County Council to the effect that the property is being purchased by that authority for the use of the nursing staff for the tuberculosis wards at Cumberland House and for the accommodation of a small number of hospital patients, and asking whether, in view of this, the requisitioning notice could be withdrawn. The Town Clerk reported that he had intimated to the Surrey County Council that no further action would be taken and that the requisition notice would in consequence be cancelled.
From the Mitcham Advertiser, 1st November 1945, page 1
AN EXPENDITURE of £1,320 to provide furniture and equipment for one doctor, six senior staff and two maids has been approved by Surrey County Council in connection with “The Birches,” Mitcham, recently purchased by the Council from the estate of the late Sir Isaac Wilson to accommodate staff at Cumberland House Hospital, Mitcham, which adjoins the house.
Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.