In 1886, Levi White started as Inspector of Nuisances for the Croydon Rural Sanitary Authority, replacing Thomas Matthews who resigned the previous year.
In 1887 he was given a tricycle for his visits, and he made 253 to the dairies and cowsheds in the District. In 1888 he was paid a salary of £2 10s. a week.
In 1891 he lived at number 9, Queen’s Road, which was later renamed Kings Road.
According to the 1900 Electoral Register, when he lived at Orchard House, Wood Street, Beddington Corner, he owned houses in numbers 5 to 10 Kings Road and 11 to 20 Spencer Road.
He was Chief Sanitary Inspector for 29 years up to his death in March 1932.