From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 28th April, 1933 page 1
A TEST was tried at the tenth annual dinner of the Mitcham Urban District Council Fire Brigade last Friday night. While the guests and firemen were seated arround the festive board in the Vestry Hall, a fire alarm suddenly and unexpectedly sounded. Consternation was written on the faces of everybody when the firemen jumped to attention and rushed out of the room. Within 70 seconds the fire engine was in the street, fully manned and ready for action. Then it was announced that the alarm was only a test. It sufficed to prove the efficiency of the Brigade even on such an auspicious occasion as their annual dinner, and it also assured the guests, and through them the public, that no chance is taken when the firemen are enjoying themselves, in safeguarding life and property. It was a very effective move.