Smith’s Terrace was a block of six shops and flats, on the west side of London Road, at the north corner of Bond Road. In the 1911 commercial directory, they were numbered sequentially from 1 to 6, from north to south. Numbers 1 & 2, and 5 & 6 were two-storey, with 3 & 4 in the centre having 3 storeys.
This clip shows ‘Smiths Terrace’ on a stone plaque in the centre building of the terrace.
This OS map from 1911 shows the terrace on the left hand side of the London Road, which had tram lines. The Swan pub can be seen to the north. The ‘LB’ refers to a letter box which is mentioned in the street directory below.
From the 1914 street directory, going south on the west side of London Road:
PILLAR LETTER BOX
1 Frederick STANNET, grocer
2 William CHANCE, laundry
3 Mrs HALLIDAY
4 Thomas William MOSS
5 THOMPSON & Son, dairy
6 Mrs. Minnie McNAUGHTON, beer retailer
……. here is Bond rd ……
Number 6 Smith’s Terrace, on the corner with Bond Road, was The Ship pub up until the mid 1930s.
The 1915 directory has Frederick STANNETT, baker at 7 Station Parade and grocer at number 1.
After renumbering, the terrace became numbers 190 to 200, even, from north to south, with 200 at the corner, as summarised below:
|Old number>||New number|
The ‘GP’ shown in this 1952 OS map is a ‘Guide Post’, or direction sign. In the clip above showing the plaque, this direction sign shows A217 straight ahead to Tooting and A216 to Streatham.
Aerial photo from 1953:
These photos show parts of the terrace being demolished in the early 1970s.
As of March 2018, number 190 still stands, which was Eddowns car spares shop. It will probably be redeveloped as flats.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.