Terrace of 7 shops, on the north side of the Fair Green, west of the London Road. It became part of St Marks Road, until demolished to make way for Majestic Way in the late 1980s.
Eric Montague’s Mitcham Histories : 7 The Upper or Fair Green, Mitcham, page 108 said that in 1828 at number 4 lived William HILLS, a local builder who the last parish beadle. Montague suggested that York Place was built in the first two decades of the 19th century.
From the Dentists Registry entries from 1879 to 1893, William James Jones was in practice as a dentist with the pharmacy at 1, York Place before 22nd July 1878.
From the 1891 street directory:
from High Street to Killick’s Lane
1 W.J. Jones, chemist & stationer
2 Post Office
3 William Saynes, beer retailer
4 Joseph Shepherd, corn dealer
5 G.B. Bennett, tobacconist
7 William Shepherd, machine agent
Number 3 was the Lord Napier pub, before becoming George York’s funeral business.
In the 1915 street directory, these retain the numbers as above, but are part of St. Marks Road:
1 John K. Harvey, chemist
2 Mrs L.C. Williams, dining rooms
3 George York, undertaker
4 H. Tedder, hair dresser
5 William Whittington, tobacconist
6 William Augustus Martin, butcher
7 S. & E. Rimmel, grocers
In the 1925 street directory, the shops have been renumbered odd:
1 John K. Harvey M.P.S., chemist
3 William Scratchley, dining rooms
5 George York, undertaker
7 H. Tedder, hair dresser
9 William Whittington, tobacconist
11 A. Bacon, hosier
13 S. & E. Rimmel, grocers
From the 1954 telephone directory:
1 J.K. Harvey, chemist & druggist, MIT 0892
3 Thorpes Radio, MIT 3964
5 George York, undertaker, MIT 2926
(Scratchley’s Dining Rooms is in the 1954 phone book at 310 High Street, Sutton VIG 4125)