From the Wallington & Carshalton Herald – Saturday 01 October 1887
The Salvation Army.
— New barracks for the use of the Salvation Army were opened by “Col.” Nicol, on Saturday. Previous to the service, the “soldiers” paraded the village with music and banners. A large number was present at the service, including contingents from Wimbhdon, Sutton, etc. On Sunday the opening services were continued and the army again marched in procession through the streets. The new building is situated in Gladstone Road. which leads out of Merton Lane, and is in the midst of the houses of the poorer inhabitants of Mitchani. It is of neat elevation, brick built with stone facings, the porch being surmounted with a Maltese Cross. The outside measurement is about 50ft. by 20 ft. The hall is of neat appearance, having a spacious platform at the end. It is estimated to hold 250 persons. At the rear of the platform is a retiring room and the usual offices, also a kitchen containing a copper, etc. The hall is well lighted and the arrangements for ventilation are excellent. It has been built from plans by Mr. Olley, of Wimbledon. by Mr. J. Way, of the same town.