Tag Archives: 1912

Gunner Robert Reader

Robert Reader enlisted in at Scotton Camp near Catterick in Yorkshire (now called the Catterick Garrison).

He was a gunner with the Territorial Force Battalion, 372nd Battery, Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery Regiment, service number 636288.

He died on 21st January 1918 in Mesopotamia, and is buried at the Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery, plot I row A grave 6, in Iraq.

His name is on the north side of the Mitcham War Memorial on Lower Green West.

Source:
Commonwealth War Grave Commission casualty record

His age isn’t shown on his grave details, but a Robert Reader, aged 29, was married to Amy Stacey, aged 30, on 17th November 1912, at the parish church in Church Road. His address at that time was number 4 Lewis Road, and hers was at number 2.

Assuming this is the same Robert Reader, then he died at the age of 35.

Waterloo Place

Waterloo Place was a row of 3 houses on the west side of London Road, near to where Dennis Reeve Close is now.

The 1912 street directory lists the properties from north to south:

Here is Crusoe Road …

Thomas TAYLOR (Carlingford)
F. & G. MIZEN, market gardeners
John ELMER
Mrs Ruth PARRISH, tobacconist

Manor View:
6, Mrs KILLICK
5, Henry HISTED
4, James GARDNER
3, Edward TANNER
2, William J MEECH, confectioner
1, Mrs George TAYLOR, poultry dealer

Waterloo Place:
1, Figg’s Marsh hand laundry
2, William HARRISON
3, William LAMB

Ellis JEEVES, carman (2 Thanet cottages)
David GODDARD (2 Poplar cottages)
Herbert DODD, carpenter (1 Poplar cottages)
Edward FULLER, florist (The Poplars)

Eveline Villas:

The OS map of 1911 shows a single house on the south side of Crusoe Road at the corner of London Road, and this may have been Carlingford. Then there are no buildings until Tamworth Farm, in occupation by F & G Mizen. Then there are two separate buildings, presumed to be John Elmer and Mrs Ruth Parrish.

Then there are 3 pairs of houses, and this is assumed to be Manor View, which are numbered 6 down to 1. South of this is a row of 3 houses, and this is assumed to be Waterloo Place.

Combined OS map of 1911 and the street directory of 1912