Tag Archives: 1936

Charlie Brooks’s Shop

From the minutes of the Mitcham Borough Council
Volume 2
1935 to 1936
Housing
12th March 1936
page 448

6. Phipps Bridge Road Estate
– The Town Clerk reported the reception of petitions signed by a number of residents in Queens Road asking (a) that provision should be made on the Phipps Bridge Road Estate for a general shop to be occupied by Mr. Brooks, of 46, Queens Road; and (b) suggesting that the new houses should be provided with open grates to all rooms and also for coppers. Resolved, (a) That the estate manager be asked to institute enquiries in connection with the position of Mr. Brooks, of 46, Queens Road, and (b) That the matters concerning the provision of grates be referred to the Borough Engineer.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Church Road Welfare Centre

Currently known as ‘La Sporta Community Centre’, the land at the corner of Church Path and Church Road was bought in 1936 by Mitcham Borough Council from Donald Stair Drewitt (or Drewett?). They built a maternity and child welfare centre, around 1939. After health services transferred from the local council to the health authorities, the building became Lasporta Community Centre in 1993. It was sold in 2012 for £300,000.

The freehold title for this property is TGL88228, which contains in its Charges Register a covenant that states that no housing should be built on the site, nor should there be any trade or business detrimental to the neighbouring
property
.

This building is not mentioned in the Mitcham Borough Health Report for the year 1939, but is in 1940. The Parish Rooms at Lower Green West were last mentioned in 1939 so it is assumed that its functions transferred to this building at the same time.

Council minutes from 14th February 1939 say that the builder was Charles Sayers & Sons Ltd, whose bid was £4,586. Source: page 375, Mitcham Borough Council minutes, volume 5.

1953 OS map

The building was also used as an ante-natal clinic, holding mothercraft clases, a parentcraft circle, a post-natal clinic and for diptheria immunisation.


2009 La Sporta

2009

Prior to being sold in 2012, the building was used as the ‘La Sporta Community Centre’.


2016

2016

New Close

Built in 1936/7, a council housing estate originally of 95 houses and 3 flats.

Bought for £14,475 from Messrs Clarkson by Mitcham Borough Council for rehousing people made homeless by the Explosion, and for their slum clearance programme.

1935 New Close Clarksons Land sale to Mitcham

1935 Map of land bought by the Council

This 1952 OS map shows that the estate had its own fire alarm post (FAP), next to number 2.

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 29th May, 1936:

“Laying out of housing estate”

Reporting on the lay-out plan of New Close Housing Estate, the Borough Engineer, Mr Riley Schofield, said it allowed the erection of 135 houses. The density on the land purchased, viz. 9.70 acres plus one half of the width of Phipp’s Bridge road, and one half of the railway, a total of 11.149 acres worked out at 12.1 houses per acre.

A portion of the estate accommodating 36 houses might not be proceeded with, leaving 99 houses for immediate development.

It was proposed to erect a disinfection house, to be isolated in the south-east corner of the property.

The size of the houses provided for a living-room, scullery, W.C., and bathroom and larder on the ground floor and three bedrooms on the first floor and for the provision of a shed at the rear of each house. A proportion of the houses to have more than three bedrooms.

The Council approved the plan.

Housing Committee, Thursday, October 10th, 1935

LAND, PHIPPS BRIDGE.

-Messrs. Chart, Son and Reading reported that they had been in communication, on behalf of the Council, with Messrs. Clarkson for the acquisition of 9 1/2 acres in Phipps Bridge Road, and that the terms upon which Messrs. Clarkson were prepared to sell were, that the total sum to be paid for the land should be £14,475, and that of this sum £12,047 should be paid upon possession being given of 8 acres 0 roods, 5 perches, and that the balance of the purchase money should be paid on vacant possession being given of the remainder of the land either on the death of Mrs. Clarkson or earlier if Mrs. Clarkson ceases to occupy New Close House. The Town Clerk reported that these conditions had been referred to the District Valuer for his observations, and a report had been received from the District Valuer stating that he was prepared to support an application for a loan at this figure.

Resolved. That the Council be recommended to purchase the site at the price quoted, and that application be made to the Minister of Health to sanction a loan of £14,600 for this purpose.

Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 1 1934-35 pages 980-1

Finance and General Purposes Committee
Tuesday, 21st July 1936

8. Nameing of New Street
– That in lieu of “New Close” suggested in the report of the Housing Committee, the name of “Jarrow Road” be substituted.

Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 2 1935-36 page 841

Highways, New Buildings, Lighting and Public Works Committee
Thursday, October 14, 1937

New Close Estate.
-It was Resolved, That his worship the Mayor be asked to hand over officially the New Close Housing Estate to the Housing Committee on Saturday, October 23.

Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 3 1936-37 page 1065


November 12, 1937

New Close Housing Estate

– The Borough Engineer reported that he had received a quotation from the Wandsworth Gas. Co. for the carcassing required for 95 houses and 3 flats for gas services, amounting to £176 12s., and that he had also received an offer from the company to supply 98 slightly used reconditioned gas cookers at the reduced price of £5 each.

Resolved, That the quotation and offer submitted by the Wandsworth Gas Co. be accepted and the order placed accordingly.

Source: Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 3 1936-37


From the minutes of Housing Committee
11th December 1947
page 151

PIGEONS

The tenant of 36, New Close, has erected a 15-ft. long pigeon loft without first having first obtained the Council’s permission. I shall be glad of the Committee’s instructions.

I am, Ladies and Gentlemen,
Your obedient servant,
B. THRUPP
Housing Manager

Resolved – That the tenant be instructed to remove forthwith the pigeon loft which has been erected without permission.


The name ‘New Close’ can be traced back to the 17th century. Deeds published in the Harvard Law Library mention a lease from that Richard Garth for ‘New Close’.

Lease, 1633, January 19. 8 Charles I. 1 Item : parchment ; 42 x 58 cm.

SUMMARY:

Lease between Richard Garth, esq., of Morden (Surrey) and Dame Dorothy Capell of Morden of a new brick house in Morden, with all out houses, barns, etc., with 1 adjoining close called “the Marsh Close,” containing 5 acres, another called “New Close,” containing 5 1/2 acres, another called “Great Parkelandes,” containing 13 acres, another called “Little Parkelandes,” containing 8 acres, another called “Grube Close,” containing 3 acres, and another called “Water Dens,” as now it is enclosed, containing 8 1/2 acres; except and always reserved all woods, timbers, and trees now standing, etc., with all hunting, for 21 years (if she live so long) from last Michaelmas, at the annual rent of £30 5s. Signed: Dorothy Capell.

WITNESSES: Edward Straynge, James Grantham, William Mathewe.

NAMES: I. Garth, Richard. R. Capell, Dorothy, Dame. III. Straing, Edward. IV. Grantham, James. V. Mathew, William.

SUBJECTS: I. Deeds—England—Surrey. 2. Deeds—England—Morden. 3. Surrey (England)—Charters, grants, privileges. 4. Morden (England)—Charters, grata, privileges.

Source: Harvard Law Library, though this text is no longer online
Retrieved: 2007
This text can also be seen online as part of a Google Books search.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Queens Road

One of the roads of ‘Rocky’. It ran from Phipps Bridge Road eastwards to Belgrave Road.

The Explosion of 1933 led to rehousing of a number of families from this area, to other parts of Mitcham. Although the houses in Queens Road were not badly damaged, it was identified as a Clearance Area in 1936.

1910 OS Map

1910 OS Map

After the second world war, ‘hutments’ and prefab bungalows were built for temporary housing. These were cleared in the early 1960s for the Phipps Bridge Housing estate, and the name Queens Road was kept.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

1954 aerial view of Queens Road and its temporary housing - this clip is from Merton Memories photo 49269 and is copyright London Borough of Merton.

1954 aerial view of Queens Road and its temporary housing – this clip is from Merton Memories photo 49269 and is copyright London Borough of Merton.

1954 aerial view of Queens Road and its temporary housing, looking east. This is a clip from Merton Memories photo 49278, and is copyright London Borough of Merton.

1954 aerial view of Queens Road and its temporary housing, looking east. This is a clip from Merton Memories photo 49278, and is copyright London Borough of Merton.


World War 1 Connections
Lance Corporal Arthur James Block

Private Edgar Block

Rifleman W Glover

Private J James

Driver E Marney

Driver J Newson

Private Hubert George Truelove

Sapper William Walklett

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

W BOTTWELL of 22 Queens Road, aged 18 Years 1 Months, Carman. Joined on 11 May 1917 to the Royal Field Artillery.

S T S DALE of 38 Queens Road, aged 19 Years, Fitter. Conscripted on 17 April 1917 to the East Kent Regiment (3rd Batn).

W DAVIS of 7 Queens Road, aged 24 Years 7 Months, Carman. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Royal Fusiliers (35th Batn).

L DIXIE of 1 Queens Road, aged 19 Years, Labourer. Volunteered on 01 November 1915 to the Royal Fusiliers.

B FENNELEY of 8a Albany Terrace Queens Road, aged 37 Years 7 Months, Jeweller. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Artillery School (5th).

M GLOVER of 11 Queens Road, aged 29 Years 5 Months, Painter. Volunteered on 25 October 1915 to the Army Ordinance Corps.

W G HERRINGTON of 19 Queens Road, aged 22 Years 6 Months, Stoker. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 07 December 1915 to the Royal Fusiliers (15th Batn).

W F HOOKINS of 47 Queens Road, aged 33 Years 3 Months, Grave Digger. Conscripted on 11 December 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment (6th Batn).

J P HORNEGOLD of 27 Queens Rd Mitcham, aged 20 Years, Ticket Collector. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 17 November 1915 to the Royal Fusiliers (16th Batn).

J JAMES of 35 Queens Road, aged 20 Years 1 Months, Hawker. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment (3rd Batn).

J JAMES of 17 Queens Road, aged 18 Years, Gardener. Conscripted on 26 March 1917 to the 23rd Training Reserve Batn.

G JARDINE of 10 Queens Road, aged 37 Years 2 Months, Packer. Conscripted on 14 February 1917 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment (labour Coy).

W JARDINE of 10 Queens Road, aged 28 Years 2 Months, Labourer. Volunteered on 13 April 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment (18th Batn).

Ian JORDAN of 40 Queens Road, aged 29 Years 6 Months, Bricklayer. Volunteered on 7 January 1915 to the Royal Horse Artillery.

S MEARS of 49 Queens Road, aged 20 Years 6 Months, Doorkeeper. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 19 February 1916 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment (9th Batn).

G MUNT of 43 Queens Road, aged 29 Years 9 Months, Grave Digger. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment (3/5th Batn).

J MUNT of 50 Queens Road, aged 32 Years, Grave Digger. Conscripted on 23 October 1916 to the Labour Corps (depot).

W MUNT of 42 Queens Road, aged 28 Years 11 Months, Labourer. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment (3/4 Batn).

W NEWSON of 34 Queens Road, aged 23 Years 7 Months, Labourer. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Royal Fusiliers (16th Batn).

M SIMANTS of 14 Queens Road, aged 18 Years, Labourer. Conscripted on 31 March 1917 to the 23rd Training Reserve Batn.

J SMITH of 24 Queens Road Mitcham, aged 31 Years 10 Months, Carman. Conscripted on 12 December 1916 to the 5th Labour Corps (301st Labour Co).

H TRUELOVE of 54 Queens Road, aged 31 Years 7 Months, Labourer. Conscripted on 10 December 1916 to the Royal West Kent Regiment (3rd Batn).

W WALKLETT of 5 Queens Road, aged 32 Years, Rigger. Conscripted on 8 September 1917 to the Royal Engineers.

J A WHITEMAN of 41 Queens Road, aged 20 Years, Labourer. Conscripted on 06 November 1916 to the East Surrey Regiment (4th Batn).

Occupants from electoral registers:

1936 Health Report

CLEARANCE AREA No. 12.

Fifty-four houses known as 1 – 51 and 2 – 56 (inclusive), Queens Road.

Source: Report of the Medical Officer of Health for Mitcham, Wellcome Trust, page 44.


Stories

The road was disconnected from Belgrave Road in 1996, as described in this Section 316 Planning Application, number 96/P0786 :

Closure of the eastern end of Queens Road, 55 metres in length, from its junction with Belgrave Road and use of the highway as open space, alterations to the Cranleigh Court vehicular access off Phipps Bridge Road and provision of new vehicular access to Frensham Court off Phipps Bridge Road.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Smith’s Buildings

A terrace of 30 houses between Lavender Walk and the Beehive pub. The houses were numbered sequentially, from 1 to 15 on the west side and from 16 to 30 on the east side. Demolished in 1936.

Referred to in 1934 Health Report as a Clearance Area under the 1930 Housing Act:

CLEARANCE AREA No. 8. A row of back-to-back cottages known as 85 – 143 (odd numbers) Smiths Buildings, Commonside East. An objection having been made to this Order a local inquiry was held on April 24, 1934. The Order was confirmed.

Source: Report of the Medical Officer of Health for Mitcham, Wellcome Trust (PDF), page 33

1934 aerial view to west Smiths Buildings

1934 aerial view to west

1934 aerial view to north

1934 aerial view to north

1910

1910

1936 photo showing Mrs Brown’s Beehive Store.

From 1925 street directory:

West Side

Number Title Forenames Surname
1 Mrs Brown
2 Mr Harry Purkiss
3 Mr William Bowling
4 Mrs Gilbert
5 Mr John Bowling
6 Mr Frederick Wallace
7 Mr Arthur Blake
8 Mr Albert George Beadle
9 Mr Frederick Chas Harrison
10 Mr John Sparrowhawke
11 Mrs Tegg
12 Mr James Smith
13 Mr Charles Henry Wilkes
14 Mrs Green
15 Mr Thomas Miles

East Side

Number Title Forenames Surname
16 Mrs Miles
17 Mr George Mountain
18 Mrs S Brown
19 Mr Thomas William Dolby
20 Mrs Towers
21 Mr Frank Haywood
22 Mrs Fletcher
23 Mr Alfred Kilby
24 Mr Alfred William Green
25 Mr Frederick Laight
26 Mr John Richard Steers
27 Mrs Hussey
28 Mrs Dawson
29 Mrs Elliott
30 Mr Frederick Chas Redmayne

World War 1 Connections
Private David James Elliott

Mr George Mountain is mentioned in a news article of 1929 about two Lonesome school teachers crashing a car.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Sunshine Way

old road name sign of Sunshine Way – photo taken in 2007

1952 OS map

The site for Sunshine Way was bought by the Church Army Housing Ltd. and the total cost including building the houses and hall came to £31,000 (or about £1,400,000 in today’s money when allowing for inflation).

For current owners (as of January 2018), see Sunshine Way – Ownership.

The estate was officially opened on 20th November, 1936 by Lord Horder, KVCO, and was blessed by the Bishop of Kingston. It consisted of 51 houses, 47 of which had three bedrooms and 4 had four bedrooms. Six were special ‘sunshine houses’, being built for those with TB tendencies. Rents ranged from 8 shillings to 12 shillings and threepence a week, or the equivalent of £18 to £30 today.

Mr F.M. Elgood chairman of the company, said that in the 51 houses were 277 children, 167 of them under 10 years old.

From the Church Times, 13th November 1936

NEW COTTAGES BY THE CHURCH ARMY.

—On Monday next, Lord Horder will open fifty-one cottages at “Sunshine Way,” Bond-road, Mitcham, which have been built by Church Army Housing, Ltd., at a cost of £31,000. Six of the cottages are of a special sunshine type, in which windows open outwards to their full extent, and each has a sun balcony suitable for sleeping out. The sunshine houses are for those with tuberculosis or tuberculous tendency. Every house has its own garden and is fitted for electric lighting and gas cooking. The rents will be on a differential basis, the lower paid workers will pay a lower rent than those who earn higher wages. The net average rent under this system will work out at seven shillings a week. The majority of the new tenants will come from Southwark and Walworth, some of whom have waited ten years for a house.

From the Mitcham News and Mercury, 20th November 1936

LORD HORDER OPENS
NEW
HOUSING ESTATE
——
Not Anxious About Fall in Population
——

Lord Horder, K.C.V.O., visited Mitcham on Monday and declared open the new estate of house built by the Church Army Housing Ltd.

Lord Horder referred to the fall in the population, and added: “I am not anxious about it. I would rather give my vote for quality than quantity. All the same we may find that we don’t get quality or quantity and that would be a calamity of the first magnitude.”

The Bishop of Kingston, speaking of rents, said there is no sense in charging rents to keep people perpetually poor in good homes.
——————-
A new chapter in the history of the site of the old Holborn Schools had commenced in Mitcham on Monday when the new estate of houses built by the Church Army Housing Ltd. known as Sunshine-way, Bond-road, Mitcham, were declared open by the Right Honourable Lord Horder, K.C.V.O.

 


Church Times 20th November 1936

BIGGER AND BETTER!

the Church Army Builds Homes for the People

(By Our Special Representative)

“‘OO LIVES UPSTAIRS MUM?”
“ Why, son, we live upstairs.”
“ Then ’oo lives downstairs, Mum? ”
“ We live downstairs, too.”

But he could not believe it. Not one of the children who had been cramped and
cabined in the tenement houses of South London did believe it. They had been used
to living five in a room and sleeping three in a bed. When they came to the new
houses, they could not understand the idea of separate bedrooms. They had never seen
a whole house that is a home. So a Church Army Sister told me at the
opening of the wonderful little estate built by the Church Army at Mitcham, which was
opened on Monday afternoon. In “ Sunshine Way,” fifty-one new cottages have
been built, and they have been specially designed for families that are not touched by
the slum-clearance schemes—the families, that is, which are too large for the tiny flats of the mean streets, too poor to pay high rents and, some of them, too sickly to thrive in the great blocks of Central London. All the families come from overcrowded rather than specifically “ slum ” areas, and have had, therefore, little hope of a new home under Government schemes. Some have been waiting for proper accommodation for
three years; some for as long as seven years.

Before the official opening of the estate, a meeting was held for tenants and friends
of the Church Army in Welcome Hall, the religious and social centre for the new
buildings. Prebendary Carlile, who, as he said, is “ getting on for ninety, not out,” took the whole meeting on his shoulders as soon as he entered the hall. He knew everybody. He chaffed everybody. He put the praise for all the work on everyone but himself. Above all, he made everybody laugh and feel at home. He called suddenly upon
workers hidden at the back of the hall to come and give their own little part of the
story of the building of the cottages. He insisted that Church Army Sisters should
tell their own tales about the social and religious side of the work. And, by the way,
how splendidly these workers speak at a moment’s notice! They have none of the
formalities of the trained speaker. But their straightforward, simply-phrased stories come from a store of experience and a fund of humour and understanding.

Mr. F. M. Elgood, chairman of “ Church Army Housing, Limited,” related the
history of the estate. The cottages were built, he said; for large families with small
incomes. There were fifty-one new cottages, and among the new “ tenants ” in them were
two hundred and seventy-seven children. The hall was built so that there might be a
place for a Sunday school for the children, a meeting place for mission services, for
clubs and for social gatherings. The speaker explained how greatly the
Church Army was concerned with the problem of rent. With its complementary
system of loan stock and voluntary donations, “ Church Army Housing ” was able to
build cottages, without help of Government subsidy, and to let them at differential rents.

The cottages at Mitcham all have three bedrooms and some of them have four. The
highest rent, inclusive of rates, is 12s. 3d., and the lowest is 8s. But the majority are let for 9s. 7d. a week. Care is taken that the rent shall be small if the father of the family has to travel far to his work. There are special houses with sunshine roofs-that is, open air shelters-for families with a tubercular member. Help is given with beds and blankets for the families whose ramshackle furniture from ramshackle tenements is fit only for the fire. The new furniture is paid for from weekly savings.

The Church Army shield was unveiled by Lord Horder. The Bishop of Kingston,
acting for the Bishop of the diocese, stood, pastoral staff in hand; at the centre of the estate, and blessed the houses and all the tenants in them.

Children crowded round Sunshine Way for the ceremony. Tenants were at their windows or standing in their gardens – their well-prized new possessions. Some of the families from Camberwell, Lambeth and Southwark had ” hardly seen any soil for years.” All, in the five short weeks of tenancy, had made gallant efforts to tidy and to lay out ” their bit” in spite of the fact that slabs of cement belonging to cellars of former buildings were found heaped up a few feet beneath the surface of the gardens, while other places seem to have been the depository for old china for the whole of Mitcham during at least a hundred years.

” The people are settling down now,” said a Church Army Sister to me. ” It is always
a bit of a job at the beginning. Children, eight in a family, who have lived in two
tiny rooms, are inclined to be frightened of a dark ‘upstairs.’ They are used to going
to bed in the living room. And, of course, there is the problem of furniture. Most of
these families have had room only for bedroom furniture in their old places. Now they
want tables and dressers and chests of drawers; and the cost is a terrible strain on
their tiny resources.

” There’s the Smith family, now. There are ten of them – eight children. They lived
in two tiny rooms, and had to have a double bed in the kitchen. It stretched right from the wall to the fire-place, so there was no room for a table. They always had their meals off the bed. Then there is the Jones family. Some of the children slept on a bedstead. And the rest lay round it on the floor.”

19361120 Lord Horder and some of the children

Lord Horder Unveiling the Church Army shield. Bishop of Kingston holding his staff. Prebendary Carlile on his left.

Lord Horder Unveiling the Church Army shield. Bishop of Kingston holding his staff. Prebendary Carlile on his left.


A children’s party, possibly photographed in the Welcome Hall, in the 1950s by Phox Studios.


In March 1988, the houses were being renovated, which included converting the ‘sunshine patios’ to an extra bedroom, when a skip lorry overturned crushing some cars. Thanks to Keith and Marie Drake for these photos.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image


List of tenants in 1937

Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley

From Wikipedia:

Sir Harry Deeley Mallaby-Deeley, 1st Baronet (27 October 1863, London – 4 February 1937, Cannes) was a British Conservative Party politician.

Harry Deeley was educated at Shrewsbury School and Trinity College, Cambridge. His brother was the theatrical producer Frank Curzon.

In 1913 he purchased the whole of the Duke of Bedford’s Covent Garden estate for £2m., having already been involved in the purchase of the Piccadilly Hotel and St. James’s Court, Buckingham Gate.

In 1922 he famously acquired control of the large estates of the cash-strapped Duke of Leinster during the latter’s lifetime. Fitzgerald had previously sold Mallaby-Deeley his reversionary rights to the estate for a notional consideration, not expecting, as a younger son, to inherit.

Deeley was elected Member of Parliament for Harrow in 1910 and for Willesden East in 1918, resigning in 1923. In 1922 he assumed the additional name of Mallaby, his mother’s maiden name, by deed poll and was created a baronet.

Although the wikipedia article cited stated he was founder and first president of the Prince’s Golf Club in Mitcham, it has been pointed out that this was not the case. The following has been provided to correct this error:

Prince’s Golf Club Mitcham was formed by members of the Prince’s Racquets and Tennis Club of Knightsbridge in 1891 with Robert Hippisley Cox the prime mover. The first President was Arthur Balfour M.P.

Mr Mallaby Deeley came rather later and in 1900 had risen to the position of chairman. The Prince’s Golf Club Company Limited was restructured, went into voluntary liquidation and the same day a new Prince’s Golf Club Company Limited was formed with Mallaby Deeley as controlling shareholder.

Source: information available at the National Archives

News Articles
From the British Newspaper Archive which require a subscription.

1937 Obituary

Sir H. Mallaby-Deeley

During the twelve years he sat in the House of Commons Sir Henry Mallaby-Deeley was content to be for the most part a silent member. He was a picturesque figure, and regular in his attendance, but his friends were always a little puzzled to understand why he cared to belong to an assembly in whose affairs he took little active part. His name came frequently before the public in connection with gigantic transactions in real property—among them the purchase of part of the Bedford estates, at a cost of about £2,000,000, and the Foundling Hospital site, most of which has since been re-acquired for preservation as a children’s playground. A much more surprising venture, and one having no relation with his other interests, was his opening of a shop in the Strand for the sale of men’s clothes at about half the prices then prevailing for readymade suits. As was to be expected in view of his lack of experience the enterprise was a commercial failure, and he admitted having lost about £60,000 during the two years it – was carried on. He claimed that the experiment was worth while for the sake of the stimulus it gave to others with a better knowledge of the trade to reduce their prices. Sir Henry was a keen golfer, and, among his many enterprises, he controlled the Prince’s course on Mitcham Common, now under municipal direction, as well as the Prince’s course at Sandwich.

Source: The Scotsman – Saturday 06 February 1937

1936

SIR H. MALLABY-DEELEY MARRIED
Private Ceremony a Month Ago

It became known on Monday, says “The Times” that Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley, Bt., of Mitcham Court, Surrey, was married on December 9 to Miss Edith M. Shoebridge, his private secretary.

The arrangements were made so quietly that even the household staff at Mitcham Court were not aware that on the day when Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley left for the Continent Miss Shoebridge was going with him as his bride. The marriage took place by special privilege in the Bishop of Southwark’s private chapel at Bishop’s House. Kennington, the Bishop officiating.

Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley made the acquaintance of Miss Shoebridge a little more than a year ago. She had been private secretary to Lord Derby. Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley was first married in 1890 to Miss Joan Parson-Smith, who died In 1933. and has one son. He is well remembered In Chester as a son of a once prominent citizen, the late Wm. C. Deeley, a director of the Dee Oil Company. Saltnev. and a onetime chairman of the Chester Liberal party.

Source: Cheshire Observer – Saturday 11 January 1936

1933

LADY MALLABY-DEELEY DEAD

Lady Mallaby-Deeley, wife Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley. Bart., the financier and former Conservative M.P. lor Harrow and East Willesden, has died at Sir Harry’s Surrey home, Mitcham Court. She had been ill for only a week with bronchial pneumonia. Lady Mallaby-Deeley, who was formerly Miss Joan Parson-Smith and a member of a well-known Shrewsbury family, was married to Sir Harry 43 years ago. There are four children, two sons and two daughters.

Source: Gloucester Citizen – Wednesday 20 December 1933

SIR HARRY MALLABY-DEELEY Bart., of Mitcham Court, opposite Mitcham Cricket Green, and a Mitcham Conservator, is credited with one of the most important property purchases in London of recent years. Sir Harry has bought the whole of the interests of the Foundling Estates, Ltd., in the Foundling Hospital estate in Bloomsbury. The estate consists of 34 acres, exclusive of streets and squares, and the total price is stated to be in the neighbourhood of £1,750,000.

Sir Harry and Lady Mallaby-Deeley left for the south of France on Saturday. For more than 25 years Sir Harry has been one of the most striking figures in London finance.

In 1924, Sir Harry handed over to the public Prince’s Golf Club, Mitcham. He has given large amounts to charity, notably £15,000 to the London Hospital. He was Unionist Member for Harrow, 1910-18, and for East Willesden, 1918-22: He was made a baronet in 1922. One of his most famous deals was with the Bedford estate in the Strand a number of years ago now.

Source : Mitcham News and Mercury, 14th April 1933

1910

A MITCHAM M.P.

MR. MALLABY-DEELEY RETURNED FOR HARROW.

The campaign in the Harrow Division of Middlsex was followed with considerable interest by Mitcham because the fact that the Conservative candidate was Mr. H. Mallaby-Deeley, ot Mitcham Court. opponent was Mr. Percy Harris, a well known London Liberal, and the fight was a very keen one. Polling took place on Monday, and the result was declared about two o’clock on Tuesday as follows :

Mallaby-Deeley (C.) ...,. 16,761 
Harris (L.) ............. 13,575 

Conservative majority ... 3,186

This was a Conservative gain, the turnover of votes amounting to less than 3,602. The new member is a director of the Norwich Union Life Insurance Society, a governor of the Whitgift Foundation, Croydon, and Chairman of the Mitcham Common Conservators, and one of the principals of Princes Golf Club.

Though there are more popular men at Mitcham than Mr. Mallaby-Deeley, there are none more striking in their personality or more keen in a business capacity. It is not expected that his Parliamentary duties will interfere to any great extent with his work Chairman of the Board of Conservators.

Source: Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter – Saturday 29 January 1910


From the Surrey Coats of Arms:

MALLABY-DEELEY Sir Harry Mallaby Mallaby-Deeley, 1st Bart., JP, MA, LL.M (Cantab), of Mitcham Court, (1863-1937), was
created Baronet 1922. The title expired on the death, 1962, of his grandson Sir Anthony Meyrick Mallaby-Deeley, 3rd Bart., of Slater’s Oak,
Effingham.
Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4, Sable a chevron engrailed Ermine between in chief two fleurs-de-lys and in base a crescent Or (Deeley);
2 and 3, Or a bunch of nettles Proper and a chief Sable (Mallaby).
Crests: 1, A sinister cubit arm in armour gauntleted holding in the hand a dagger point downwards Proper pommel and hilt Or
between two spurs Gold (Deeley); 2, Issuant from clouds Proper a demi Pegasus Argent winged and charged on the shoulder with a fleur-de-lys Azure.
Motto: Quod Deus vult. (BP99)

Motto means What God Wills.

From Debretts Peerage of 1923:

Sir HARRY MALLABY MALLABY-DEELEY,
M.P., 1st Baronet, second son of the late W. Clarke Deeley, of Curzon Park, Chester, by Elizabeth, da. of Joseph Mallaby, of Loxley Hall, Staffordshire ; b. Oct. 27th, 1863; ed. at Shrewsbury Sch., and at Trin. Coll., Camb. (B.A. Honours in Law and LL.B. 1885, M.A. and LL. M. 1888); is Lord of the Manors of Ravensbury, Biggin and Tamworth, a Member of the Inner Temple, a J.P. for Surrey, a Director of Norwich Union Life Insurance So., a Gov. of Roy. Agricultural So. of England, a Member of Committee of Roy. Orphan Asylum, Chm. of Board of Conservators of Mitcham Common, and patron of five livings; sat as M.P. for Harrow Div. of Middlesex (Co.C) Jan. 1910 to Nov. 1918; elected for E. Div. of Willesden Dec. 1918 and Nov. (C) 1922; assumed by deed poll (enrolled in College of Arms) 1922, the additional surname of Mallaby: m. 1890, Joan, third da. of J. Parson-Smith, J-P-, of Abbotsmead, near Shrewsbury, and has issue.

Seats — Mitcham Court, Surrey; Elgars, Bexhill, Sussex.
Clubs – Carlton, Wellington, Surrey; Magistrates’; United Empire; Royal Automobile.

SON living — GUY MEYRICK MALLABY, b. May 23rd, 1897 ; ed. at Trin. Coll, Camb,, and at R.M.C.; Lieut. 5th Dragoon Guards : m. 1920, Marjorie Constance Lucy, only da. of James E. Peat, of Cranmers, Mitcham, Surrey.