Tag Archives: 1984

South Suburban Co-Op, 37/39 Upper Green East

Numbers 37 and 39, Upper Green East, is a single building with, currently in 2018, a Cost Cutter shop with flats above. The postcode is CR4 2PF.

The co-op was not listed in the 1930 commercial directory, but is in the 1938 edition, with a telephone number of 3937.

It is presumed that this was built in the mid 1930s by the South Suburban Co-operative Society, which was a co-op based in Croydon. The society merged in 1984 into the Co-operative Wholesale Society. This ad from 1936 doesn’t give the address, but may be referring to this building:

1936 ad


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.