Tag Archives: Carshalton Road

Victory Day Parties

Victory Day Street parties – from Mitcham News & Mercury, May and June 1945

Almond Way
Bordergate
Bramcote Avenue
Caithness Road
Biggin Avenue and Camomile Avenue
Carshalton Road
Dalton Avenue
Dearn Gardens
Deer Park Gardens
Fernlea Road
Lavender Avenue
Love Lane
Manship Road
New Barnes Road
Pear Tree Close
Raleigh Gardens
Rodney Road
Steers Mead
Tamworth Lane

Almond Way

Almond Way

Biggin Avenue and Camomile Avenue

Biggin Avenue and Camomile Avenue had a joint party. These photos were kindly provided by Alison via the Mitcham History Facebook Group.

Biggin Avenue and Camomile Avenue

Biggin Avenue and Camomile Avenue

Outside no. 19, Biggin Avenue

Bordergate

Bordergate

Bramcote Avenue

Bramcote Avenue

Caithness Road

Caithness Road

Carshalton Road

Carshalton Road

Dalton Avenue

Dalton Avenue – photo kindly provided by Debbie, via the Mitcham History Facebook group.

Dearn Gardens

Dearn Gardens

Deer Park Gardens

Deer Park Gardens

Fernlea Road

Fernlea Road

Lavender Avenue

Lavender Avenue

Love Lane

Love Lane

Manship Road

Manship Road

New Barnes Road

New Barnes Road

Pear Tree Close

Pear Tree Close

Raleigh Gardens

Raleigh Gardens

Rodney Road

Rodney Road

Steers Mead

Steers Mead

Tamworth Lane

Tamworth Lane

Caesar’s Walk

Road that runs south westerly from Cranmer Road to the footpath alongside the tram line. On this 1932 OS map, the footpath is shown as Tramway Path.

1932 OS map

Road sign at corner of Caesars Walk and Cranmer Road. The Wilson Hospital can be seen in the background.

The name of the road refers to Sir Julius Caesar Adelmere who, it was believed, had a mansion on the site where the Wilson Hospital is now. In 1598 he entertained Queen Elizabeth I. From this the names of the roads off of Caesars Walk are related to that monarch.

However, Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories:11 The Cranmers, The Canons and Park Place, page 70, says that local records indicate that Sir Julius’s residence was actually south of the Burn Bullock, on the London Road.

Sir Isaac Wilson had bought in 1926 the Cranmers and surrounding land that stretched across the South London and Sutton railway line to the junction of Cranmer Road/Willow Lane with Carshalton Road. He built the eponymous hospital, which opened in 1928, as well as the Garden Village. In between the two he developed Caesars Walk, Burghley Place, Cecil Place, Walsingham Road and Hatton Gardens.

Ad for number 29, on the corner with Walsingham Road, from the Norwood News – Friday 27th October 1933

MITCHAM COMMON

(7 mins, Mitcham Junction Station, 20 mins, Town); semi-detached freehold house; built 6 years; garage; 3 bed, 2 reception,bathroom. kitchenette; gas, e. l., hot water; re-decorated; excellent condition; £650. – Owner, 29, Caesars-walk. Mitcham.

WW2 civilian deaths on 24th February 1944 (links are to Commonwealth War Grave Commission website):

51 Caesars Walk
George Arthur WILLIAMS, aged 56, Air Raid Warden

Private Betty Violet WILLIAMS, aged 23, Auxiliary Territorial Service

55 Caesars Walk
Edith WHITE, aged 17
Rosa Harriett WHITE, aged 51


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.