Tag Archives: Dalton Avenue

Dalton Avenue

Road off north side of Lewis Road. Named after local councillor William Dalton, who became mayor of Mitcham in 1942.

Possibly built in 1936/7 with houses in same construction and style as New Close. There are seven blocks of 6 houses, and two of 5.

According to the Royal Mail postcode finder, in May 2018 there are 68 properties, numbered 1 to 22 inclusive, 23A, 23B, 24, 24A, 24B, 24C, 24D and 25 to 63, all with the postcode CR4 3DT.

1952 OS map

The road and houses were built on land that formerly was called Nicholl’s Orchard, as described in a 1903 council meeting, and shown as field number 298 on this 1894 OS map:

1894 OS map

1894 OS map

From the minutes of the
Croydon Rural District Council
Mitcham Parochial Committee
Volume VIII 1902 – 1903
21st July 1903
page 294

… The piece of land in question is about 3.5 acres in extent, and was formerly known as “Nicholls’ Orchard.” It has a frontage of about 230 ft to Lewis Road, and a depth of something over 650 foot. …


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Lewis Road

Road between Church Road and Western Road. According to the Royal Mail postcode finder, Lewis Road as 119 addresses.

No. 1, Lewis Road is Lime Court, on the corner with Church Road. This has 46 flats, numbered 1 to 46 inclusive, with postcode CR4 3LS. Lime Court was built around 1987/8.

Evens numbers 2 to 10, 10A, 12 to 24 to 34, 34A, 36 to 46, 50 to 70 Lewis Road are CR4 3DE.

Odd numbers 19 to 27, 37 to 47, 47A, 55 to 69 are CR4 3DF.

Numbers 29,31,33 and 35 Lewis don’t exist now, as Dalton Avenue cuts through there.


This 1913 map shows a varnish works at the Church Road end. This would later be the belting factory.

1913 OS map

Occupants from 1915 street directory

from Church Road to Western Road

… here is Oakwood Avenue
… here is Ashtree Avenue

7, George READER, shopkeeper
William SEARLE, contractor (Oakwood Villa)

Occupants from 1915 electoral register:

1 Orchard villas : Alfred READER
2 Orchard villas : Albert NEALE
3 Orchard villas : Edward lee GRICE
Cornelia Cottage : Charles HACK
Cornelia Cottage : Henry DAY
Emily Cottage : Frederick Augustus FOSSEY
Violet Cottage : James Edward TOOGOOD
7, George READER
Rose villa : Alfred John SLATER
Orchard villa : Henry SEALE
Westfield farm : Sydney CORNWALL
4 Rosemary cottages : John SEALE
3 Rosemary cottages : Daniel ELLIS
1 Claremont cottages : Henry George SMITH
2 Claremont cottages : William SAVILLE
3 Claremont cottages : Samuel George HUMPHREY
4 Claremont cottages : Alfred Samuel GOODWIN
5 Claremont cottages : John SMITH
6 Claremont cottages : John DOLBY
7 Claremont cottages : James BEARMAN
8 Claremont cottages : Samuel PAYNE
10 Claremont cottages : Griffin CRESSWELL
11 and 12 Claremont cottages : William ASPLAND
13 Claremont cottages : Walter STAGG
14 Claremont cottages : Thomas STEVENS
15 Claremont cottages : Thomas STAGG
16 and 17 Claremont cottages : Charles WILLIAM
2 Rosemary cottages : Isaac SEALE

Occupants from the 1925 street directory:

from Church Road to Western Road
… here is Oakwood avenue …
… here is Ashtree avenuse …
1, George READER
2, John HUMPHREY
3, Charles William HACK
4, Richard STEVENS
5, Edward Charles Le GRICE
6, James E. TOOGOOD (confectioner)
7, George READER and Miss V. READER (fried fish shop)
8, Alfred John READER (metal merchant)
Mitcham Poultry Food Co. Limited
Henry HISLEY
Cavendish villa : Alfred George BROWN
Ivy villa : Harry PATEY
Rose villa : Mrs SLATER
Laurel villa : John W. SALES
Orchard villa : William SEALE
Isaac SEALE (metal merchant)
Rosemary villa : Sidney D. CORNWALL
Westfield farm : John CORNWELL

Rosemary cottages:
1, William SEALE (confectioner)
2, Isaac SEALE
3, Mrs FORDHAM
4, Mrs EVANS

P.J. Nash & Co. Ltd. (sauce manufacturers)

From the 1930 commercial directory

1, George SMITH (dairy)
31, A. Couling & Sons (fried fish shop)
33, Alfred READER (firewood dealer)
41, William SEALE (greengrocer)
59, John CORNWELL (hotel waste contractor tel: 0880)

The following have no number given in the directory:

Mitcham Poultry Food Co. Limited (poultry food manufacturers tel: 0800)
Seal’s Yard : George HARKWRIGHT (haulage contractor tel: 3919)
Isaac SEALS (scrap metal merchant) (note: could be SEALE not SEALS)
Zalmo Pickle & Sauce Works (A. D. Robertson, propr.)


World War 1 Connections
Bombadier Frank Osborne Broster

From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

G ASPLAND of 9 Lewis Cottages Westfield Mitcham, aged 31 Years 6 Months, Fitter. Conscripted on 2 March 1917 to the Royal Engineers.

D ELLIS of 3 Rosemary Cot Lewis Road, aged 38 Years, Scaffolder. Volunteered on 15 January 1915 to the Royal Engineers.

W HUMPHREY of 4 Lewis Cot Mitcham, aged 19 Years 11 Months, Labourer. Volunteered on 24 February 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment.

A J READER of 1 Orchard Villa Lewis Road, aged 27 Years 3 Months, Carter. Conscripted on 18 June 1917 to the Army Veterinary Corps.

P O SLATER of 3 Lewis Road, aged 19 Years 8 Months, Machinist. Conscripted on 6 December 1915 to the Middlesex Regiment (29th Batn).

H SMITH of 16 Lewis Cottages Mitcham, aged 36 Years 11 Months, Iron Worker. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment.

H G C SMITH of 1 Lewis Cot Lewis Road, aged 33 Years, Labourer. Volunteered on 15 January 1915 to the Royal Engineers.

W G SLATER of Rose Villa Lewis Road, aged 18 Years 6 Months, Belt Maker. Conscripted on 7 March 1917 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment (30th Lab Co).

R T STEVENS of Emily Cottage Lewis Road, aged 31 Years, Belt Maker. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 7 June 1916 to the East Kent Regiment (3rd Batn).



Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.