Tag Archives: Collingwood Road

Collingwood Road

Road with houses only on its east side. At its north end is Fox’s Path. At the south end, the road is accessed from Blake Road, off Miles Road. On its west side is a trading estate, formerly the site of Thomas Parson’s varnish factory.

The houses are numbered even, from south to north, from 2 to 56. Royal Mail postcode website says there are 28 addresses, all with the postcode CR4 3DH.

1953 OS map

The road was probably built in the late 1920s, as it isn’t mentioned in the 1925 street directory.

Occupants from the 1933 Electoral Register

2, Charles Alfred and Emily CAIN
4, William Stanley and Ivy Gertrude LAWRENCE
6, Percival Arthur and Ada SPENCE
8, Edward Charles and Gertrude FOWLER; George and Alice GARDNER
10, Montague, Martha Lucy and Montague John MANDER
12, Thomas and Maggie Rose GAMBLE
14, Alfred Thomas and Beatrice Ellen MANLEY
16, Henry George, Alice, Annie Elizabeth and William Lawrence TINGEY
18, William and Esther GUENIGAULT; Joseph and Phyllis Irene GREEN
20, Frederick James and Winifred Louisa CLATWORTHY
22, George, Eliza, Mabel and Leslie LONG
24, Alfred and Annie GILLETT; Sydney and Mabel SCHMID
26, Arthur Stanley and Hilda PHELPS; Albert Fred GROVER
28, James and Margaret CONGRAVE
30, Percy Westlake and Fanny VEALE
32, Cecil Vaughan and Rhida Louise RICHE; Frderick and Phyllis WALTERS
34, James and Rose GRIMSHAW
36, Walter and Annie SMITH
38, Alfred and Winifred DAVIES; Henry EVANS
40, Albert Edward and Amelia Mary PAINTER
42, Cyril Brian and Maud Edith CARR
44, Albert Henry and Alice Jessie SNOSWELL
46, Henry Edward and Florence Lilian GIBBS
48, Walter and Isabel WILSON
50, Charles Henry William and Florence BARNES
52, George Walter and Dorothy Louise LONG; Minnie DAVIES
54, Charles Thomas and Nellie PAYNE
56, William Henry and Kathleen Gertrude GASTER


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Private Henry Edgar Hawkins

From the Mitcham News & Mercury, 24th November, 1944, page 1.

Two Weeks in Action

Two weeks after leaving this country for service in Europe, Pte. Henry Edgar Hawkins has been killed in action in Holland at the age of eighteen. He was the fourth son of Mr. and Mrs. C. Hawkins, Collingwood-road, Church-road, Mitcham, who have three other sons serving and two younger ones still at home. Pte. Augustus Hawkins is serving in Holland, Leslie is in India, and Jimmy is with the Navy.

Pte. Hawkins was born in Mitcham and was an old boy of Western-road School, and was once a cadet with the East Surreys. He was a keen footballer and last played with his old team while on embarkation leave. He joined the Army in April.

From the Commonwealth War Grave Commission

Private
HAWKINS, HENRY EDGAR

Service Number 14736191

Died 25/10/1944

Aged 18

1/5th Bn.
Welch Regiment

Son of Charles Victor and Elizabeth Mary Hawkins, of Mitcham, Surrey.

INSCRIPTION

IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR EDGAR: EVER IN THE THOUGHTS OF ALL WHO LOVED HIM

Blake Road

Road off Miles Road that leads to Collingwood and Rodney Roads. Built in 1930, by Mr J. Sands.

According to minutes of the Mitcham Urban Council, the original name suggested for this road was Felix Road, and that for Collingwood Road was San Road. The council suggested to Mr Sands the current names. Source: page 813, volume XV, Highways and Buildings Committee, 6th March 1930.

No houses were built on Blake Road. However it does have a block of four flats, numbered 1 to 4, at 30 Blake Road, CR4 3FB. This is a block between the Lloyds Pharmacy, at 75 to 79 Miles Road, and the terrace of houses in that end at number 69. The ground floor of this block facing Miles Road is number 71 in that road, occupied by a carpet and upholstery cleaning business. The entrance to the flats is in Blake Road.

1953 OS map


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.