Tag Archives: Hawthorn Avenue

Coder Charles William George Allman

Serving onboard the HMS Arrow, Charles William George Allman died on 4th August 1943, which wikipedia says was the day it set on fire by the explosion of the merchant ship Fort La Montee while in Algiers harbour. He was a mssage coder with the Signals Corp.

From the 1939 Register, he lived with his parents at 35 Hawthorne Avenue:
Charles W. Allman, born 3rd May 1896, leather dresser
Daisy C. Allman, born 12th December 1893, housewife
Charles W.G. Allman,born 18th August 1924, iron moulder improver
Source: The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1939 Register; Reference: RG 101/1373D

His father died in 1981 at the same address.

From Commonwealth War Grave Commission

Coder
ALLMAN, CHARLES WILLIAM GEORGE

Service Number P/JX252956

Died 04/08/1943

Aged 21

H.M.S. Arrow
Royal Navy

Son of Charles William and Daisy Caroline Allman, of Mitcham, Surrey.

260 Church Road

Single storey factory on east side of Church Road on north side of corner with Hawthorn Avenue.

From comments on the Mitcham History Group on Facebook, it was originally part of a paint and varnish factory and later was occupied by Ashbourne Surgical during the 1980s, Adroit engineering, Catlin engineering, joiners and printers.

Planning permission 16/P2971 submitted 31st August 2016 to demolish it and build a block of flats.

On this 1952 OS map, the building is shown as Scientific Instrument Works.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

aerial view of factory

aerial view of factory


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

170 to 174 Church Road

A terrace of 4 shops, with flats above, numbers 170, 172, 172A, 172B, going north on the east side of Church Road. Number 174 is a shop at the northern end of this terrace on the corner with Hawthorn Avenue.

Number 174 is on the left in this Google StreetView.

The shops in 2015 were

170 : Danmirr Associates
172 : New Wonder Chinese Takeaway
172A : S & J Sandwich Bar
172B : off-licence
174 : Shalini’s Newsagent

According to a fellow on the Facebook Mitcham History Group, the corner shop,
number 174 :

was Reeds … it was ran by two ladies, one extremely old the other may of been her daughter, the barbers was Frank Gretch’s shop, Kents/Jacks sweet shop was taken over in the early 70s by footballer Butch Wilkins parents for a short while, the last shop was always empty then became a cafe, then a Chinese takeaway,next to that was the rubber belt factory Belatas I think, then became Gough bros wine warehouse

It was Shalini’s since around 1974/5.


In a planning application for number 172A, Merton Council refused the change of use for the sandwich shop to residential because:

The application site is located on land that was historically used as a varnishing works. There are no records to indicate that remediation works were carried out on the site at the time the present properties were built. The applicant has failed to provide a land contamination report with submission of the application to demonstrate that there will be no adverse risk to future occupiers. Proposed development is there a risk due to the risk from the land contamination.

Source: Planning application 16/P1540.