Tag Archives: Miles Lane

Miles Lane

This road is on the northern edge of the parish churchyard, and runs from Church Road, eastward to north of Edmund Road. Later renamed Miles Road.

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

From the 1915 street directory:

Miles Lane, from Church Road.
NORTH SIDE

Robert Charles GUNN, florist, (Elm Villa)
Norman, Smee & Dodwell, varnish manufacturers

From the 1925 street directory:

Miles Lane, from Church Road to Field Gate Lane.

NORTH SIDE

Arthur J. PARKER (Abingdon house)
Robert SMITH (Abingdon house)
George WRIGHT (Raleigh House)

Abingdon buildings:
1a, William GRAHAM
1, James William NICHOLAS
2a, Charles GOULD
2, George KELSEY
3a, Reginald Edward WEEKES
3, Oliver CHARMAN
4a, Robert JOHNSTON
4, George FRANCIS
5a, Arthur STARKEY
5, Frederick MONEY
6a, Robert Henry SIMS
6, George COLE

Robert GUNN, florist (The Nursery)

15, Herbert VINCER
14, John Orlando EDMUNDS
13, Charles Duncan BALLARD
12, Balantyne SEARS
10, Thomas BROWN
9, George Alfred BOURNER
8, Mrs PARK
7, Frank WHEELER
6, William PAGE
5, Charles PICKETT
4, Kenneth ENEVER
3, Thomas WEST
2, James CRUTCH
1, Eli NORTH

Norman, Smee & Dodwell, varnish manufacturers
Edward ABREHART, market gardener

SOUTH SIDE

R.J. Hamer & Son, varnish manufacturers

Simmonds cottages:
3, William Henry NORTH
2, Edward NORTH
2, A.F. NORTH, boot repairer
1, Charles BUNCE

… here is Edmund Road

Clifton cottages:
3, Robert SAYERS
2, Daniel GRIFFITHS
1, William SAYERS

World War 1 Connections
Private Hubert Cole


From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

F ABREHART of 1 Miles Lane, aged 21 Years 10 Months, Carman. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 24 February 1916 to the Royal Field Artillery.

C H BOWDERY of 4 Miles Lane, aged 26 Years, Carman. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 13 May 1916 to the Royal Engineers (3/1st Kent).

J L CRAWFORD of 6 Abingdon Terrace, Miles Lane, aged 32 Years, Motor Driver. Conscripted on 7 May 1917 to the Army Service Corps (mt).

C JAMES of 2 Miles Lane, aged 23 Years 5 Months, Dustman. Conscripted on 2 December 1915 to the Labour Centre.

W H NORTH of 3 Simmons Cottages Miles Lane, aged 36 Years, Scaffolder. Conscripted on 6 June 1916 to the Royal Engineers.

G C S SPOONER of Abingdon House Miles Lane, aged 30 Years 10 Months, Conductor. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Huntingdonshire Cyclists (2/1st Batn).

R VARNHAM of 12 Miles Lane, aged 34 Years, Labourer. Volunteered on 13 January 1915 to the East Surrey Regiment.

T WEST of 3 Miles Lane, aged 40 Years, Labourer. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Durham Light Infantry (5th Batn).

W WEST of 3 Miles Lane, aged 35 Years, Labourer. Conscripted on 6 March 1917 to the Bedfordshire Regiment (30th Inf Lab Coy).

F W WHEELER of 7 Miles Lane, aged 39 Years, Lamplighter. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 11 December 1915 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment (9th Batn).

W E WILKS of 4 Miles Lane, aged 39 Years 5 Months, Horsedealer. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 8 March 1916 to the Royal West Surrey Regiment.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1909 Pig Slaughtering in Miles Lane

From the minutes of the Mitcham Parish Council of 25th January 1909

The following letter from the Clerk to the Croydon Rural District Council was read :—

TOWN HALL, CROYDON. 25th JANUARY, 1909.

Dear Sir,

MITCHAM ALLOTMENTS : SLAUGHTERING OF PIGS.

I am directed to forward the subjoined copy of a resolution passed by the District Council at their last meeting, and to ask that you will bring the same before the Parrish Council.

Yours truly,
E. J. GOWEN,
Clerk.

R. M. CHART, Esq., Clerk of the Mitcham Parish Council.

” The Medical Officer reported that in the course of Mr. Rabbetts’ inspection of the Piggeries on the Mitcham Allotments he found two pigs had recently been slaughtered and dressed in a shed belonging to Mr. William Sayers, who resides at 1, Clifton Cottages, Miles Lane, Mitcham. The shed was constructed of wood with concrete floor, and had a copper in it for heating water, which was obtained from a surface well close to the Piggeries. Mr. Rabbetts cautioned Mr. Sayers against using this shed as a slaughterhouse a few months ago, when he found that a pig had been slaughtered there. The Committee directed the attention of the Mitcham Parish Council be called to the circumstances, with a view to the prohibition by them of a continuation of this practice.”

Notes
1) Miles Lane, now called Miles Road, is shown in this map of 1910

1910 map

1910 map

2) Before 1915, Mitcham was part of the Croydon Rural District Council.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Parish Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.