Tag Archives: Northborough Road

Avenue Road

Road that is parallel, and north of, Rowan Road, running between Stanford Way at its northern end, and Northborough Road at the southern end. Although part of Streatham today, when built it was part of the Mitcham Urban District. Possibly built in 1925/6, see below.

1951 OS map

Houses are numbered starting from the Northborough Road end with evens on its northern side, and odds on the other. Postcodes are SW16 4HJ for numbers 1 through 77, and SW16 4HL for 2 to 82.

In June 1926, Fulfords Ltd., builders of the Long Thornton Estate, asked the council to use the name Beckview Road instead of Avenue Road. The council disagreed and, as the company suggested no other name, it stayed as Avenue Road. Source: Mitcham UDC minutes, volume 12, page 115. Note that the next road in parallel with this road, away from Manor Road, is called Beckway Road.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Manor Road

In this 1913 OS Map, Manor Road was the name of the road at the northern edge of the Urban District boundary, and continued along past the Streatham Park Cemetery, then south towards Mitcham Common.

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

Parts of the road were renamed, after this suggestion in 1926:

From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council
Highways, New Streets and Buildings, and Lighting Committee
Tuesday, 14th September, 1926

6. MANOR ROAD.

— Read letters from the Battersea District Post Office and the Streatham Park Cemetery Company suggesting the renaming of Manor Walk and a portion of Manor Road in order to prevent confusion.

Resolved to recommend, That the following names be adopted :

Manor Road, from Commonside East to a point 300 yards north-east of Willow Cottages ;

Northborough Road, from Manor Road to Croydon Boundary, and to be numbered from the Croydon end of the road ;

Rowan Road, from Manor and Northborough Road to Wandsworth boundary opposite No. 31, Greyhound Terrace ;

Greyhound Terrace, from Rowan Road to Lilian Road.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1934 Milk Licences

One way to find dairies, is to see the list that were granted milk licences in the council minutes, such as this one from 1934.

From the minutes of the Public Health Committee
4th December 1934

12. Milk Licences
Applications to use the designation “Certified,” “Grade A (tuberculin tested),” “Grade A,” or “Pasteurised” milk were submitted, and it was Resolved, That licences be issued as follows:-

Express Dairy Co. Ltd. : 229 Western Road

W. and J. Hill Ltd. : 257 Northborough Road

Hugh LaBroy : 84 Seeley Road

D. J. Price : Devonshire Dairy

H. E. Robinson : 356 London Road

Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society : High Street Colliers Wood

United Dairies (London) : 251 London Road and 198 Streatham Road

Source: Minutes of Proceedings of the Council and committees, Mitcham Borough Council, Volume 1 1934-35, pages 63-4


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Wide Way

Road that runs from the crossroads at its north end with Manor Road, Rowan Road and Northborough Road, south-easterly to the roundabout with Recreation Way, South Lodge Avenue, Chestnut Grove and Sherwood Park Road. See Open Street Map.

1954 OS map

Temporary housing using Nissen Huts was on the south side of the road until 1960.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.