Tag Archives: Spencer Cottage

Spencer Road

Road north of Commonside East, on the eastern side of the railway past Beehive Bridge. It runs parallel to, and is east of, Grove Road, and joins Kings Road.

Currently, in 2020, its has houses numbered odd on the left hand side, 1 to 59 with postcode CR4 1SG, and 61 to 89 with CR4 1SJ, with even numbered houses on the right hand side numbered 2 to 84 with postcode CR4 1SH.

1895 OS map

1895 OS map

In the 1891 street directory, it was described as Spencer’s Road:

from Mitcham common to Queen’s road


G. Jordan, florist & nurseryman
Mrs. Shaw, shopkeeper
William Henry Peters


1, William Thomas Godwin
2, James Dell
3, Alfred Bennett
5, William Rooke
6, William Ambrose
7, E. Simmons
14, Benjamin Craig

Note that Queen’s Road was renamed to Kings Road between 1891 and 1900 to avoid confusion with the Queens Road near Phipps Bridge Road.

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

Occupants in the 1915 street directory:

from Commonside east to King’s Road


James Crisp, florist
James Rice (Ivy Cottage)
Frederick Cooper (Rose Cottage)
Frederick J. Goddard (Spencer Cottage)

Spencer Terrace:

1 George Brooker
2 George Brown
3 William George Atterbury
4 Charles Tanner
5 H.E. Judd
6 George Holder
7 Frederick Reynolds
8 Leonard Jenner


1 William John Ambrose
2 James Thomas Lardner
3 Mrs Lardner
4 William Henry Brightwell
5 Albert Ward
6 William Towers
7 William Reed
8 George Towers
9 George Lardner
10 Edward Weller
11 Edwin Kenett Deacon
12 Albert Henry Sturtivant
13 William King
14 James Crisp, florist
15 Thomas Kirby, sen
16 George Jordan
17 Arthur Batten
18 Walter Penegar
19 Percy Tremlett
20 Robert Frederick Munday

Clifton Terrace

7 Ernest Blake
8 Carl Lindquist
9 Frederick Charles Bowley
10 Joseph Kilby

Occupants in the 1925 street directory:

Spencer Road, from Commonside east to King’s road.


2, James CHAPMAN
3, Stephen COUGHLAN
5, Albert James WARD
6, William TOWERS
7, William REED
8, George TOWERS
9, George LARDNER
10, Edward WELLER
11, Edwin K. DEACON
13, William KING
14, James CRISP, nurseryman
15, Thomas KIRBY
16, Charles George KENYON
17, Arthur BATTEN
18, Walter PENEGAR
19, Bertie TREMLETT
20, Robert MUNDAY
Rosedale Cottage, George Frederick WALLS
Conway Cottage, Herbert R. WYATT
Aber Cottage, Frederick CARMICHAEL
Ogwen Cottage, James GRAY

Clifton Terrace:

7, Ernest Arthur BLAKE
8, Charles REED
9, Mrs E. BOLEY
10, Joseph KILBY


Spencer Terrace:

8, John Frederick BARRY
7, Albert Ernest JENNER
6, George HOLDER
5, Hector E. JUDD
4, Charles TANNER
3, William George ATTERBURY
2, John William GODDEN
1, George BOOKER
Spencer Cottage, Frederick Joseph GODDARD
Rose Cottage, Frederick COOPER
Ivy Lodge, H. ASHCROFT

Note that Aber Cottage is number 75, and Ogwen Cottage is number 77. Both have visible datestones with the year 1924.

No. 75 Aber Cottage

No. 77 – Ogwen Cottage

This 1932 OS map shows the Mitcham Model Laundry in Grove Road, (top left of map, where the ‘C’ of Mitcham is), and a gap in the houses in Spencer Road behind the laundry. This may have been used as an entrance to that laundry. Although the houses are not numbered on this map, this gap was between houses numbered 51 and 71.

1932 OS map

This 1953 OS map shows that a terrace of houses numbered 61 to 67 has been built in this gap. In addition a separate house, number 59, has been built.

The 1953 map shows a gap between numbers 51 and 59. In 1948 planning application MIT1062 to build a social club at number 53 was refused by the Mitcham Borough Council. Presumably this was for the staff of the Mitcham Model Laundry. Planning application MIT3163 was granted on 31st October 1957 to build two houses on this plot.

1953 OS map of southern end of Spencer Road

The postbox, on the map marked as ‘L B’ i.e. Letter Box, on the corner with Commonside East is likely to be the only remaining wall mounted post box in Mitcham. It has the royal cypher ‘GR’ for George V, giving it a date range of 1910 to 1936.

Photo taken 28th May 2020

World War 1 Connections

Private William James Atterbury See also the Mitcham War Memorial blog.

Private Harry Charles Eley Lardner

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.