Tag Archives: Ivy Cottage

Love Lane

Following the road as it is currently numbered, it starts as a footpath off Church Road along the eastern side of the parish churchyard, and continues to Western Road.

1954 OS map showing the start of Love Lane at Church Road

Eric Montague, in his book, 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, chapter 6, said that Love Lane almost certainly dated back to the Middle Ages as it served as the access lane to strips of land that stretched north of it. These strips were around a furlong, or 22 yards, in length, and the layouts of roads such as Frimley Gardens and Rodney Road to Fox’s Path, another access lane.

The first house in this lane is numbered as 82A Church Road, after which are houses with even numbers 2, 4 and 6 are on the right in the first part of the footpath, then 8, 10 and 12 are round the corner as the path heads east.

Then there is a block of four houses numbered 14, 16, 18 and 20, that have a datestone identifying it as Laburnum Cottages.

LABURNUM COTTAGES W. F. 1853

This block can be seen on this 1866 OS map:

1866 OS map

After this block the footpath ends, and on the left is a terrace of 6 houses, numbered 1 to 11. This has a name plate in the middle, partially obscured by a drainpipe, which says ‘Hope Terrace’.

Opposite this terrace are houses built around 1983, as planning permission MER170/83 was granted on 21st April 1983. They are numbered with suffixes.

Next to these houses on the right side of Love Lane is a three storey block of 12 flats called Frimley House, which has numbers 22 to 44. Possibly built late 1930s or post-WW2 as the block is not shown on the 1933 OS map.

Opposite Frimley House, and past Hope Terrace, are two pairs of semi-detached houses, numbers 11A and 15, 17 and 19. Next to 19 is number 21, a detached house that is on the corner with Frimley Gardens.

After this the roadway turns right into Church Place but Love Lane continues as a footpath until Edmund Road. On the right can be seen the remains of the entrance to the council depot.

Breeze block filling where entrance to depot was. Photo taken 20th April 2016.

Past Harwood Avenue, the next houses on Love Lane are a pair of semi-detached on the left numbered 23 (Hope Cottage) and 25 (Rose Cottage). This is the only remaining pair of such cottages from those that were built in the early 19th century. The 1896 street directory describes walking from Church Street to Western Road, i.e. in a easterly direction, and the occupants were:

Samuel BEALES (Hope Cottage)
John HUSSEY (Rose Cottage)

23 and 25 Love Lane. Photo taken 21st May 2020

Rose Cottage was the childhood home of William Henry SLATER, who emigrated to Australia in the late 1850s where he was one of the founders of the Mitcham township, now a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria.

This is followed by a terrace of 12 houses, numbered 27 to 49, which has the nameplate in the middle of ‘Douglas Cottages’. These were built in the first decade of the 20th century according to Montague., and were numbered 1 through 12, from west to east. In the 1915 directory Stewart Daniel SLATER, florist, is listed at no. 12.

1954 OS map

After Douglas Cottages is currently a nursery school, built in the early 1960s after a pair of semi-detached cottages, numbered 55 and 57, called Dent’s Cottages, was demolished. The Mitcham News & Mercury had an article in the 2nd September 1960 issue: 132-year old Love Lane cottage to come down.

Further along on the left hand side, after Dearn Gardens, are two detached houses that are set back from the road side at an angle, number 75 and number 77, the latter of which may have been called Glendene when it was occupied by George Victor DEARN, who developed Dearn Gardens.

75 Love Lane with its arched chimney stacks. Photo taken 21st May 2020

Next is a 3-storey block of 6 flats, numbered 79, 81, 83 and 79a, 81a, 83a. After which is a block of 2 houses, 85 and 87, with a third added on, number 89.

Houses numbers 103 to 121 were built in 1934 as part of the Pear Tree Close estate.

An older terrace of 4 houses, numbered 123 to 129, north of the corner with Westfield Road, dated from the 1880s, as are the similar houses on the north side of Westfield Road, according to Montague. The 1910-1911 street directory lists these houses as Knapdale Villas, with these occupants:

1, Frederick NEWSOM
2, Thomas ARTHUR
3, John HINCKLEY

A photo from around 1970 on Merton Memories, incorrectly labelled as Gladstone Road, shows these houses with their original slate roofs.

From Merton Memories, photo reference Mit_Streets_D_LEW_29-2

From the current footpath that leads to the Glebe Path and Queen Anne’s Gardens, on the right hand side of Love Lane northwards, were 6 pairs of semi-detached houses, all demolished by the end of the 20th century and replaced by houses and bungalows.

1910 OS map

From the 1896 street directory the occupants, in houses numbered from 12 down to 1 heading north, were:

12, William Talbot WALLIS
11, Edward WAINWRIGHT
10, Henry DEARN
9, Miss Susan WOOLSEY, dress maker
8, John STEERS
7, Edward FOSTER (Jasmine Cottage)
6, Thomas RYOTT (Ivy Cottage)
5, James CURRELL
4, George James GREGORY
2, Joseph PRIOR
1, Robert Edward SLATER


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Spencer Road

Road north of Commonside East, on the eastern side of the railway past Beehive Bridge.

1895 OS map

1895 OS map

In the 1891 street directory, it was described as Spencer’s Road:

from Mitcham common to Queen’s road

SOUTH SIDE

G. Jordan, florist & nurseryman
Mrs. Shaw, shopkeeper
William Henry Peters

NORTH SIDE

1 William Thomas Godwin
2 James Dell
3 Alfred Bennett
5 William Rooke
6 William Ambrose
7 E. Simmons
14 Benjamin Craig

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

Occupants in the 1915 street directory:

from Commonside east to King’s Road

SOUTH SIDE

James Crisp, florist
James Rice (Ivy Cottage)
Frederick Cooper (Rose Cottage)
Frederick J. Goddard (Spencer Cottage)

Spencer Terrace:

1 George Brooker
2 George Brown
3 William George Atterbury
4 Charles Tanner
5 H.E. Judd
6 George Holder
7 Frederick Reynolds
8 Leonard Jenner

NORTH SIDE

1 William John Ambrose
2 James Thomas Lardner
3 Mrs Lardner
4 William Henry Brightwell
5 Albert Ward
6 William Towers
7 William Reed
8 George Towers
9 George Lardner
10 Edward Weller
11 Edwin Kenett Deacon
12 Albert Henry Sturtivant
13 William King
14 James Crisp, florist
15 Thomas Kirby, sen
16 George Jordan
17 Arthur Batten
18 Walter Penegar
19 Percy Tremlett
20 Robert Frederick Munday

Clifton Terrace

7 Ernest Blake
8 Carl Lindquist
9 Frederick Charles Bowley
10 Joseph Kilby

World War 1 Connections
Private Harry Charles Eley Lardner


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1897 Scarlet Fever

HOW SCARLET FEVER IS SPREAD.

George Peter Lawrence, of Ivy Cottage, Church-road, Mitcham, was summoned before the County Magistrates at Croydon on Saturday for exposing his son Charles while he was suffering from scarlet fever, and he was further summoned for failing to notify the medical officer of health that the child was suffering. The defendant’s wife appeared, and said she thought the child had the measles.

Mr. J. Wilson, clerk to the Croydon Rural District Council, who prosecuted, said the Magistrates probably knew there had been a serious epidemic of scarlet fever at in Mitcham, and the authorities had the greatest difficulty in inducing people to take ordinary precautions. In this case the Inspector of Nuisances received information that the child was attending school while suffering from scarlet fever, and the officer on visiting the parents’ house found that the child’s hands were peeling, a very infectious stage of the disease. Mr. Wilson added that this was a very serious ease, inasmuch as the defendant’s wife kept a laundry.

Charles Coleman, of 16, Bailey-road, Mitcham, was summoned for exposing his two children, Richard and Walter, and with failing to notify the medical officer of health that they were suffering from scarlet fever. Mr. Wilson said that in this case the children were also sent to school, where it was discovered that they were suffering from scarlet fever. Dr. Shaw said the children had had the disease for four or five weeks, and were peeling when he saw them. He told the mother that she was not to allow the children out : yet three days later he found them in the street playing with other children.

John Littleton, of 15, Bailey-road, Mitcham, was similarly summoned in respect to his son John. In this case the Inspector found the child playing in the street while suffering from the fever.

Hannah Adaway, of 7, Thorn-terrace, Phipps-bridge-road, Mitcham, was also summoned with regard to her daughter Ada. The defendant pleaded that she had had great domestic trouble, having had five children down with scarlet fever, and been ill herself.

Mr. Byron, in dealing with the cases, remarked upon the serious nature of the offence, and told the defendants that they were liable to a fine of £5 each. Lawrence was fined 5s. and 2s. 0d. costs in each case, and Adaway, Coleman, and Littleton were each ordered to pay 15s., including costs.

Time was allowed for payment in each case.

Source: Morning Post – Monday 30 August 1897 from the British Newspaper Archive (subscription required)

1902 Defective Drainage

From the minutes of the Croydon Rural District Council
Volume 8
1902 to 1903
Mitcham Parochial
29th April 1902
page 67

11. DEFECTIVE DRAINAGE.

—Inspector Rabbetts submitted the following reports upon the defective drainage of certain .premises in the parish of Mitcham :-

18, BELGRAVE ROAD.—That he had found a vent pipe at these premises not connected to the drain, and that several of the pipes were broken. The owner, on being communicated with, had done something, but had covered up the work without giving him an opportunity of inspecting. He, however, proposed making a further test.

“ASSANDUNE,” “IVY COTTAGE,” AND “ELM COTTAGE.” —That, in accordance with the authority given him, he had entered upon the above premises, and found the drains at ” Assandune” and “Elm Cottage” to be defective. The drainage of “Ivy Cottage ” appeared to be tolerably good.

Resolved, That Mr. Rabbetts, Inspector of Nuisances, be authorised to serve notices on the undermentioned owners requiring them to abate the nuisances and to remedy the sanitary defects in the undermentioned premises, in accordance with the entries in the Report Book of the Inspector of Nuisances:-

Name and Address of Owner Situation of Premises.
Clark, Mr.,12, Rowley Road, Lewisham “Assandune,” Lower Green West
Bayley, Mr. (occupier) “Elm Cottage,” Lower Green West

BRUNSWICK Villas, Robinson ROAD.—That it had been found necessary to open up the ground and examine the drains of these premises. The drains of Clifton Villa, adjoining this property, were connected to the same system, but he had not yet been able to examine them. He recommended that notices be served on the various owners requiring them to carry out certain works in order to abate the nuisances.

The Committee adjourned the consideration of this matter.


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.