Tag Archives: 1891

256 and 254 London Road

Building divided into two shops with flats above, on west side of London Road, opposite the White Lion of Mortimer pub (formerly the Bucks Head). Numbered from north to south, 254 is on the right and 256 on the left as viewed from the street. Before 1926/7 this part of London Road was called Mitcham High Street, and the numbers ran south to north.

256 on left and 254 on right, London Road, Mitcham. Photo taken August 2017.

This photo, before 1980 or so, showed two features on the top of the building:

This photo from 1895 shows that before this was built stood the drapery shop of Mrs Lack and Mr Cummings greengrocers, see directory listing below.

1895 clip of Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​Streets_​Lon_​38-14 copyright London Borough of Merton

Before being renumbered in 1926, this part of the London Road was called Mitcham High Street. From the 1891 directory (the shops were numbered from 1 going north):

1, Henry COLLBRAN, butcher
2, S.E. BURTON, stationer
3, Charles GOULD, The Kings’ Arms Public House
4, Mrs H. LACK, draper
5, John CUMMINGS, greengrocer
6, Joseph COOK, butcher
7, T.P. SHEPPARD, grocer
8, William BARTER, grocer
9, George Joseph DALE, news agent

— here is Sibthorpe Road

In the 1930 commercial directory, John CUMMINGS is still listed as greengrocer at number 254, hence 4 High Street became number 256.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Bailey Road

Bailey Road no longer exists. It was off the south side of Byegrove Road.

It is shown on this 1950 OS map, with houses numbered odd on the south side, and even on the north. Just south off this map is the cork factory of Walter Mays Ltd.

1950 OS map

Occupants in the 1925 street directory

North Side

2,Mrs HEATHER
4,Herbert SILENCE
6,William Edwin LANG
8,George Herbert PORTER
10,John POTTER
12,Henry LUFFMAN
14,James Frederick SKELTON
16,John STANFORD
18,Frederick Samuel BATHO

South Side

1,Henry George THORPE
3,Ernest WHITE
5,William Frederick BAKER
7,Mrs. A WARWICK
9,John HARRIGAN
11,Walter MUNT
13,Charles BOYES
15,James George HUGGETT

Bailey Road is shown on this 1895 OS map:

1895 OS map

However in the 1891 electoral register, a terrace called Bayley Cottages is shown as in Byegrove Road.

Other entries in the 1891 electoral register Listed as Bayley Cottages, Byegrove Road:

Not numbered:
Edward BOWDERY

Numbered:
2, Charles BAKER
3, John LUFFMAN
7, William PHIPPS

Note the Henry LUFFMAN in the 1925 street directory.

The Merton Historical Society have a photo from Eric Montague’s slide collection of the terrace of houses north of Bailey Road. The photo was taken in 1973 looking south. It shows the blocks of flats where Bailey Road was. It can be found on the Colliers Wood collection of photos, related to his book on Colliers Wood in the Mitcham Histories series.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.