Tag Archives: 1897

Preshaw Crescent

Photo taken 2nd January, 2017

Photo taken 2nd January, 2017

Photo possibly taken after the houses were built.

Photo possibly taken after the houses were built.

A row of four pairs of houses from the corner with Glebe Path running west, in parallel with, but set back from, the north side of Lower Green West. Built after 1897 on the site of a pond, which is shown in this 1866 map:

1866 OS map

1866 OS map

According to Eric Montague in his book Mitcham Histories: 5 Lower Green West, page 11, the pond measured 200 feet by 50 feet and had been called King’s Pond. The sub-soil here is sand and gravel and Montague suggested that this was originally a pit dug for the gravel, which would be used in building. With the water table high the pit would have filled in with water forming the pond.


The year of 1897 comes from the Land Registry title for number 6, which was auctioned in early 2016:

A Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 2 September 1897 made between (1) The Reverend Frederick Wilson Clerk (the Incumbent) (2) The Governors of The Bounty of Queen Anne for the Augmentation of The Maintenance of The Poor Clergy (the Governors) (3) The Right Reverend Father In God Edward Stuart (the Ordinary) (4) Francis Charles Simpson (the Patron) (5) The Right Honourable and Most Reverend Frederick By Divine Providence Lord Archbishop of Canterbury (the Archbishop) and (6) Richard Arthur Bush (the Purchaser) contains covenants details of which are set out in the schedule of restrictive covenants hereto.

The restrictive covenant contained in the conveyance of 2nd September 1897 stated that …

the purchaser would within 12 months of the date of abstracting presents erect not less than 4 detached houses or two pairs of semi detached houses on the premises.

That no buildings other than dwelling houses with their offices should be erected on the premises the prime cost of which for work and materials should not be less than £400 or in case of pairs of semi-detached dwellinghouses should not be less prime cost than £650 per pair.


This 1910 OS map shows the four pairs of houses:

1910 OS Map

1910 OS Map

Occupants

From the 1915 street directory:

Lower green west, from London Road
NORTH SIDE

… here is Glebe Path
PRESHAW CRESCENT:
1, Charles STUART
3, George Henry NELSON
4, Robert CHART
5, Arthur LANGRISH
7, Charles Clarke APLIN
8, John David CLARKE

From the 1925 street directory:

Lower green west, from London Road to Church Road
WEST SIDE

PRESHAW CRESCENT:
1, Charles STUART
2, Miss Bessie May MARTIN
3, George NELSON
4, John William ALLEN
5, Arthur LANGRISH
6, Charles R SINCLAIR
7, Mrs HOLLIS
8, Herbert E HART
9, George W.T. ORMOND

Note that number 9 is possibly the White Cottage.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Gladstone Road

Road that was off the north side of Western Road, opposite Field Gate Lane. It linked to the north west end of Sibthorp Road, and was parallel to, and west of, Fountain Road. The Sadler Close housing estate was built over it, the name being kept for one of the blocks, Gladstone House.

1953 OS map

The Mission Hall seen in the map of 1953 was opened in 1939, see Merton Memories.

The Gladstone Road Youth Club met at the Mission Hall.

GLADSTONE ROAD YOUTH CLUB

This Club meets on Saturday evening during the winter from 7.30-9.30 p.m. and is for young people of both sexes from 13 3/4 years of age. Activities include table games, billiards, table tennis, etc., and every third Saturday country dancing is held. There is also a room where young people may sit and read, and a canteen which is run by two of the Club members. Club prayers are held at the close of the evening. Information can be obtained from Mr. Mac-William or Sister Dorothy at the Mission, Gladstone Road.

From the Mitcham Youth Handbook of 1949.


From Croydon Rural District Authority Minutes, JM Pitt applied to build four houses in the road :

21/10/1897:
– Mr JM Pitt of Mitcham to erect four houses Gladstone Road, Mitcham

Occupants from Directories

1925

Gladstone road, from Western road to Sibthorp road.

NORTH SIDE

13, Herbert J. PARLING
15, George SHEPPARD
17, Richard Francis SMITH
19, William NIGHTINGALE
21, Ernest William HARRIS
23, Daniel DIVES
25, John Robert SHEPPARD
27, Mrs COLLINS
29, Thomas George NIGHTINGALE
31, Frederick HARRIS

53, Frederick STANLEY
55, Arthur ANGLISS

SOUTH SIDE

42, John McRAE
40, Arthur Vinvent COOPER
38, Walter John FOSTER
36, Edward George HOWE
34, Walter D. HARRIS
32, William ATKINS
30, George BATTERS
28, Thomas HYDER
26, Mrs SKELTON
26A, Mrs ELLIOTT
The Cottage, Herbert GREEN
Salvation Army Mission Room
7, Robert ROSIER
Gladstone villa, John SUDDS, coal dealer

1904 to 1905

Gladstone road, from Western road to Sibthorp road.

NORTH-WEST SIDE

13, Ernest HARRIS
15, George SHEPPARD
17, Robert KILBEY
19, William NIGHTINGALE
21, Francis Jesse PARLING
23, John HUMPHREYS
25, Arthur Edward GRAY
27, William CLARK
29, George BRYANT
31, John Thomas NIGHTINGALE

53, Walter GEORGE
55, Charles OSBORNE

SOUTH-EAST SIDE

Salvation Army Barracks

1896
From Western Road to Sibthorp Road

NORTH WEST SIDE

Cromwell Terrace:

1, Joseph WHITEMAN
2, George SHEPPARD
3, George TOPLIFFE
4, Alfred GRAY
5, William MAYES
6, John HUMPHREYS
7, Edward Gray ARTHUR
8, John PILLINGER
9, George CRESSWELL
10, John Thomas NIGHTINGALE

5, Edmund BALL (coal dealer)

SOUTH EAST SIDE
Salvation Army Barracks

1894 OS map

There is no road shown on the 1866 OS map.


World War 1 Connections
Private William Richard Angliss

Private Henry James Collins

Private Harry George Sheppard


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.