Tag Archives: 1988

Lulworth Crescent

New road and housing built on site of the Standard Upholstery factory, 36 Lewis Road, in 1988/9. Planning permission 88/P1640 was approved for the :

redevelopment of site by the erection of 20 no. 3 bed houses 14 no. 1 bed flats and 9 no. 2 bed flats with associated parking and landscaping including construction of new link road between Lewis Road and Portland Road.

The new link road referred became an extension to Portland Road. After the Standard Upholstery company left, its factory buildings was known as the Standard Trading Estate.

Street map of Lulworth Crescent overlaid onto Standard Upholstery factory

Street map of Lulworth Crescent overlaid onto Standard Upholstery factory

McDonalds

First McDonalds restaurant opened in Mitcham in 1988 at 1 Majestic Way. It closed after 24 years on 8th September 2012. When questioned about the closure on their website, they replied:

Closing the Mitcham McDonald’s restaurant was not a decision we took lightly, but as we constantly review our estate, we decided not to renew it’s lease. There is another restaurant in Tooting which is only 1.7 miles away. With over 1,200 restaurants across the UK, it’s essential that we continue to have the right restaurants in the right places to ensure we stay relevant and convenient for our customers.

Clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_​5_​1-63 copyright London Borough of Merton

Mount Road

Road of council housing built after World War 1 between Western Road (opposite the junction with Lavender Avenue) and Church Road. First mention in electoral registers is for 1922.

Named after Councillor H.L. Mount JP, district chairman in 1920. It was an attempt at being a ‘Garden Village’ development with low density and cottage style homes.

House numbering is from east to west, i.e. from Western Road to Church Road. Even numbers are on the south side of the road, from 2 to 86; and odd numbers are on the northern side of the road, from 1 to 69.

The centre part of the road split around an oval shaped green. Before being named Mount Road the road was referred to in council minutes as the Oval Road. During the second world war, this green space was converted to allotments for the war effort. This clip, from an aerial photograph by the RAF in 1946, shows the outline of the plots.

clip from Merton Memories photo 31375, copyright London Borough of Merton.

This green was sold by Merton council to property developer Costain Homes (Southern) Ltd for £2,515,241 in 1988, and subsequently built upon. (Source: Merton Council minutes, 1988 volume 24, Development Committee, page 238, 29th September 1988). Houses built on this oval plot are numbered from 101 to 153 sequentially.

1933 OS map

Mount Road on Google street View, from Western Road end. The houses on the left were built in 1988/9 on the oval green mentioned above.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Minutes of meetings held by the London Borough of Merton are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.