ILLNESS AFTER HOLIDAY
Death of a Popular Mitcham Resident
MR. F. H. WOOD’S MANY INTERESTS
BY the death of Mr. Frank Henry Wood, Mitcham has lost one of its most popular residents. Mr. Wood, who passed away on Friday at his home, “Hayling,” Cedars-avenue, took a keen interest in many local activities and the offices he held included the vice-presidencies of the Mitcham Conservative and Constitutional Club. the Mitcham Village Golf Club, and the Mitcham Athletic Club. He was also a member of the Mitcham Golf Club. At the age of 15 he entered the offices of the former Charing Cross Electricity Company, of which he later became secretary. On the centralisation of electricity distribution, his company was merged with others into the Central Electricity Company, Ltd., and he was appointed secretary.
He was due to retire shortly from this position. His death after a very short illness came as a shock to his many friends and business associates. He had been on holiday at Lyme Regis, and was taken ill on the first day of his return to business, and he died 10 days later. He was 60 years of age, and leaves a widow and two sons. The cremation took place at Streatham Park Crematorium on Monday, a service being conducted by his nephew, the Rev. S. Miller.
Among the mourners were the directors of his Company; Mr. J. Perkins (chairman, representing the Mitcham Conservative and Constitutional Club and Mr. F. H. Priest (president of Mitcham Athletic Club). Wreaths were sent from: the widow; his only brother George; his sons, Michael and Frank; his sister-in-law. Mrs. Potter; his nephew and niece. the Rev, and Mrs. S. Miller; Judy; Bert: the chairman and directors, Central London Electricity Company; Mr. C. Parker; Miss Joan Gatti; Mr. J. A. Gatti; Lady Gatti; Mr. R. J. Gatti; Mr. and Mrs. Cracknell; Howard Foulds; W. Fisher; Charlie and Melite: Mr. and Mrs. H. W. White; Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Mellhuish; Mr. and Mrs. Bentley and family; Reg and Dot; directors and staff of Antony Gibbs; H. T. Young; Horsley Bros., St. Martin’s-lane; Mr. and Mrs. Gray; Mitcham Conservative and Constitutional Club, Isaac Wilson. president; members of the Mitcham Conservative and Constitutional Club; Mr. and Mrs. Spicer; Fred Andrews; N. and H. Bentley; Stephen Gatti; Kitty Chuter: Mr. and Mrs. Riviere; Miss Church; Mitcham Village Golf Club; Mr. and Mrs. Jeffs; Barrel Golfing Society: H. L. Westall; W. E. Cox and family: F. W. Hill: H. J. Dibben; G. Ratcliffe; Mitcham Athletic Club; and the following departments of the Central Electricity Company: showroom staff, executive staff, accountancy department. engineering staff, C.L.E. accessories, Colauhoun-house staff. Pelhamstreet staff, Charing Cross electrical engineering department, Maiden-lane staff, and the Administrative staff ano Workmen’s City Association Sports and Social Club.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Messrs. W. J. Mellhuish and Son. 118. Upper Tooting-road.
House, also known as Grove Cottage, on Commonside East, west of the corner with Cedars Avenue. Now demolished. Site to corner has a block of flats.
According to the London Gazette (Publication date : 15 December 1931
Issue : 33780 Page : 8077 ), the land was registered in December 1931 with H.M. Land Registry by Ellen Dorothy Bird of 1, Camomile Road, Mitcham,
The 1867 private residents directory has a Misses Ewer living at Grove Cottage, Mitcham Common.
There are three photos of this cottage, taken in 1978, on the Collage website: