Tag Archives: Fountain Place

1962 Slum Clearance Scheme

from the Mitcham News & Mercury, 25th May, 1962, page 1:

Mitcham’s ambitious slum clearance scheme

ABOUT 140 HOMES TO GO

It may start next year, say council

Hundreds of Mitcham people are likely to have to leave their homes soon when Mitcham Council go ahead with a large scale slum clearance scheme.

About 140 dwellings, scattered in many parts of the town, are included in the scheme, which will possibly get under way early next year.

Split into five groups the dwellings included in the scheme are in Phipps Bridge Road, Blue House Cottages, Fountain Place, Prussia Place, Nursery Road, Gladstone Road, Sibthorp Road, Fountain Road and Western Road.

SOME HOMES ALREADY VACANT

Compulsory purchase of many of the properties is inevitable. Thousands of pounds will be involved in the acquisition.

Some of the dwellings, however, are at present vacant.

The Borough Engineer, Mr J.W. Turner, has advised the council’s housing committee to split the slum clearance scheme into two phases.

He thinks that the Gladstone Road, Sibthorp Road, Fountain Road and Western Road areas – forming part of an area which should, he feels, be considered with the council’s redevelopment of the Town Centre – should be deferred until further progress has been made on the the town centre proposals.

If the housing committee do leave these areas it would mean that only 54 dwellings would be immediately affected.

LOCAL INQUIRIES MAY BE HELD

It is not possible to say yet the date the scheme will start. Various legal channels have to be gone through and there is also a possibility that many local residents, affected by the scheme, will object to the Minister of Housing and Local Government. This may mean a series of local inquiries.

The sites in Fountain Place, Prussia Place and Nursery Road are the only ones included in the scheme which will be re-developed for residential use.

The other sites will be used for roads, redevelopment of the town centre and one for a school site.

Standard Upholstery Co. Ltd.

Standard Works
Lewis Road

Upholstery & Joinery.

Source:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT


Factory entrance was in Lewis Road, between numbers 34 and 38.

1952 OS Map

1952 OS Map

1937

1937

A member of the Facebook group Mitcham History said that the company opened a new factory in Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, in 1966.

Site disused in 1967 as referred to in council minutes.

From minutes of the
Town Planning and Development Committee
7th September 1967

826. Lewis Road, Mitcham.

Premises of Standard Upholstery Co. Ltd.

-The Borough Engineer and Surveyor reported that the premises in Lewis Road, Mitcham, formerly occupied by the Standard Upholstery Co. Ltd., were vacant and available for purchase on the open market. He stated that it appeared that the site could be used by the Council as an extension to the Fountain Place Housing Site, though from a planning point of view such a proposal would involve a departure from the Initial Development Plan, since the site was allocated for industrial use at the present time. He also referred to the desirability of re-allocating land to the west of this site, which was at present public open space, subject to a compensatory allocation being made in the immediate vicinity. The Borough Treasurer submitted a detailed report upon the financial implications of the possible purchase of the site and indicated the extent to which Ministry grants and subsidies might be payable if the land was developed for housing purposes.

The Borough Architect stated that it appeared that the site as now proposed was capable of being conveniently developed as an extension of the Fountain Place Housing Development, which was now being carried out.

Resolved — That the Housing Committee be advised of the availability of this site and informed that, subject to the agreement of the Parks, Cemeteries and Allotments Committee upon the exchange of land, the site appeared to offer a reasonable area for an extension of the Fountain Place Housing Scheme and that no objection could be raised to such a proposal from a planning point of view, and further that if the Housing Committee wished to proceed with the proposal, this Committee would make the necessary recommendation to the Greater London Council for the necessary amendment to the Initial Development Plan.

Source: Minutes of Proceedings of the Council and committees, London Borough of Merton, Volume 4 1966-67, page 417


Winding up notice Recorded in The Gazette (London Gazette), 14 April 1987 Issue: 50892 Page: 5049

STANDARD UPHOLSTERY COMPANY LIMITED Registered No. 2014532
9th April 1987.
Pursuant to section 46(1) of the Insolvency Act 1986, and rule 3.2 of the Insolvency Rules 1986, take notice that we, Robert St. John Buller and Maurice Charles Withall of Grant Thornton, 43 Queen Square, Bristol BS1 4QR, were appointed Joint Administrative Receivers of the above Company on 27th March 1987 by Midland Bank pic under the terms of a debenture dated 13th August 1986. The Company was registered under the name of Fixnow Limited during the course of the twelve months prior to the date of the appointment.
R. St. J. Buller, M. C. Withall, Joint Administrative Receivers 27th March 1987.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Borough Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Registration of Dairies and Milk Shops in 1917

From the minutes of the Mitcham Urban District Council
Volume 3
April 1917 to March 1918
Public Health and Burials
11th September 1917
page 105

REGISTRATION of DAIRIES and MILK SHOPS.

—The Sanitary Inspector reported applications for registration as milk sellers from

Mrs. Frances Richardson, of 1, Fountain Place.
Mrs. Harriet Henden, of Bridge House, Christchurch Road.
Mr. William Titchener, of Western Road.

And It was Resolved to recommend, That the same be registered accordingly.


Minutes of meetings held by the Mitcham Urban District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Fountain Place

Terrace of houses at the Western Road end of what is now all called Portland Place. The terrace was on the west or right hand side as seen from Western Road, opposite Bond Road. Demolished as part of a slum clearance scheme, announced in 1962.

clip from 1962 photo of shop at 1 Fountain Place on Merton Memories, copyright London Borough of Merton

1952 OS map

Occupants from Street Directories

1915
From Western Road

1, Mrs Olive BISHOP, shopkeeper

… here is Lavender Cottages

1925
From Western Road to Portland Road

West side

1, Mrs F.J. RICHARDSON, general stores
2, Moses WILKES
3, Mrs SMITH
4, Frederick BENNETT
5, Henry BRAZIER
6, James CHAPMAN
7, Nelson SMITH
8, Mrs TOWERS
9, William PARROTT
10, Thomas CHAPMAN
11, Leonard POWELL
12, Frederick ROBINSON
13, William GARDNER
14, Albert CHAPMAN
15, Thomas Edward GRAHAM
16, Thomas CHAPMAN
17, Henry CRISP
18, George HALFORD
19, Richard JENKINS
20, Mrs BIGNELL

From the Mitcham Urban District Council minutes,
Volume 3, page 120, Finance and General Purposes Committee meeting of 11th September, 1917, Mr Rabbetts reported contraventions under the Shop Act of Mrs F. Richardson of 1, Fountain Place, for serving a customer sundry items at 6.40pm on Wednesday, August 15th.

The 1911 Shops Act dictated the half-day closing of Wednesdays, in order to give staff time off.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.