Tag Archives: Homewood House

Homewood Terrace

A terrace of 12 houses, with 6 on either side of Homewood House, on the west side of Church Road. Originally numbered from south to north, starting at two houses south of Homewood Road, and continuing north to Chapel Road.

1952 OS map

1952 OS map

The 1925 street directory described this terrace, going south from Chapel Road:

— here is Chapel road

Homewood Terrace:
12, Joseph Payne
11, William Reeves
10, Charles Andrew Grant
9, William Bailey
8, James Gough
7, Charles E. Weight, plumber

John George Bowskill (Cologne cottage)
William Morgan (Homewood house)

Homewood Terrace:
6, Mrs Blackwell
5, Henry Siviour

— here is Homewood road
4, John Tutley
3, Henry George Shead
2, Henry Hunt
1, Richard Harding Kisser

On the 1952 OS map, these houses have been renumbered:

Homewood Terrace Church Road
12 145
11 143
10 141
9 139
8 137
7 135
6 129
5 127
4 125
3 123
2 121
1 119

World War 1 Connections
Private Walter William Tedder

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

William Morgan & Sons, varnish makers

Listed in the 1911 commercial directory as japan and varnish makers in Western Road.

From the 1911 Census, William George Morgan, aged 73, lived at Homewood House, on Church Road. He was described as an employer, in the business of Varnish and Japan manufacture. He had been married for 52 years to Harriet, aged 72. They had had 7 children, of which their daughter Florence, 49 and single, lived with them.

Listed in the 1963 list of factories:

W. Morgan & Sons, Ltd.
Prince Georges Road, Merton, SW19
and
338/340 Western Road

Varnish

Source:
Borough of Mitcham List of Factories,
Town Clerk’s Department,
July 1963.
Available at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Reference L2 (670) MIT