Tag Archives: Lavender Walk

Three Kings Road

No longer exists. It was a road that was on the east side of the Three Kings Pond and connected Commonside East to Commonside West. In around 1982 it was removed and this connection was replaced by an diversion of Commonside East and a roundabout.

Source: Merton Council planning application number MER494/82, which was granted 9th September 1982 :

The diversion of Commonside East involving construction of new carriage way, construction of roundabout on Commonside West, closure of Commonside East/West junction to vehicular traffic, narrowing of part of carriageway of Commonside East and stopping up of Three Kings Road.

1953 OS map of Three Kings Road

This photo, from around 1974, of a Metropolitan Police Recruitment day shows the road on the right.

A recruitment drive showing some of the specialisations available once 2 years probation was complete. Dog unit, motorcycle unit, underwater search unit etc.

Note also the route of the footpath that connected Cold Blows to Lavender Walk. This was an ancient path connecting the west and east fields. The path is now diverted to before the start of the Beehive Bridge incline.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

79 Commonside East

Currently residential, but was a newsagents shop. In the 1954 phone book, the occupant was A.G. HENDRA, listed as confectioner & tobacconist.

This property is the left hand one of three, as shown in this photo, taken from the Beehive Bridge. To the left of number 79 is the footpath Lavender Walk.

clip from Merton Memories photo reference Mit_Transport_2-3

1955 OS map

Next door at number 85 was S. BARTON, grocers, in the 1954 phone book. In the above photo, was it called Mitcham Stores to avoid confusion with Barton’s Stores in 1, Kings Parade, Wrythe Lane, Carshalton? (Also in the 1954 phone book)

In this clip from a 1974 photo, the shop is owned by D.G. BAKEWELL

Image courtesy of Collage - The London Picture Library - http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

1974 Image courtesy of Collage – The London Picture Library – http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Smith’s Buildings

A terrace of 30 houses between Lavender Walk and the Beehive pub. The houses were numbered sequentially, from 1 to 15 on the west side and from 16 to 30 on the east side. Demolished in 1936.

Referred to in 1934 Health Report as a Clearance Area under the 1930 Housing Act:

CLEARANCE AREA No. 8. A row of back-to-back cottages known as 85 – 143 (odd numbers) Smiths Buildings, Commonside East. An objection having been made to this Order a local inquiry was held on April 24, 1934. The Order was confirmed.

Source: Report of the Medical Officer of Health for Mitcham, Wellcome Trust (PDF), page 33

1934 aerial view to west Smiths Buildings

1934 aerial view to west

1934 aerial view to north

1934 aerial view to north

1910

1910

1936 photo showing Mrs Brown’s Beehive Store.

From 1925 street directory:

West Side

Number Title Forenames Surname
1 Mrs Brown
2 Mr Harry Purkiss
3 Mr William Bowling
4 Mrs Gilbert
5 Mr John Bowling
6 Mr Frederick Wallace
7 Mr Arthur Blake
8 Mr Albert George Beadle
9 Mr Frederick Chas Harrison
10 Mr John Sparrowhawke
11 Mrs Tegg
12 Mr James Smith
13 Mr Charles Henry Wilkes
14 Mrs Green
15 Mr Thomas Miles

East Side

Number Title Forenames Surname
16 Mrs Miles
17 Mr George Mountain
18 Mrs S Brown
19 Mr Thomas William Dolby
20 Mrs Towers
21 Mr Frank Haywood
22 Mrs Fletcher
23 Mr Alfred Kilby
24 Mr Alfred William Green
25 Mr Frederick Laight
26 Mr John Richard Steers
27 Mrs Hussey
28 Mrs Dawson
29 Mrs Elliott
30 Mr Frederick Chas Redmayne

World War 1 Connections
Private David James Elliott

Mr George Mountain is mentioned in a news article of 1929 about two Lonesome school teachers crashing a car.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.