Road off north side of Lewis Road. Named after local councillor William Dalton, who became mayor of Mitcham in 1942.
Possibly built in 1936/7 with houses in same construction and style as New Close. There are seven blocks of 6 houses, and two of 5.
According to the Royal Mail postcode finder, in May 2018 there are 68 properties, numbered 1 to 22 inclusive, 23A, 23B, 24, 24A, 24B, 24C, 24D and 25 to 63, all with the postcode CR4 3DT.
The road and houses were built on land that formerly was called Nicholl’s Orchard, as described in a 1903 council meeting, and shown as field number 298 on this 1894 OS map:
From the minutes of the
Croydon Rural District Council
Mitcham Parochial Committee
Volume VIII 1902 – 1903
21st July 1903
… The piece of land in question is about 3.5 acres in extent, and was formerly known as “Nicholls’ Orchard.” It has a frontage of about 230 ft to Lewis Road, and a depth of something over 650 foot. …
Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.
Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.