Tag Archives: 2016

Midland Bank branches

In the 1930 commercial directory, a branch was listed at 5 London Road, telephone number Streatham 2170, manager W. H. Bayford.

The branch at 241 London Road opened on 1st July, 1950, as shown in this announcement:

Norwood News – Friday 30 June 1950 Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

clip from c. 1987 photo Mit_​8_​1-29 on Merton Memories, copyright London Borough of Merton

As part of HSBC, this branch closed in 2015/6.

In March 2018 a halal butchers opened at this address.

Connect House

Office building, 21 Willow Lane, Mitcham, CR4 4FL.

Bought on 29th January 2015 for £3,100,000 by CONNECT HOUSE LTD (Co. Regn. No. 9296558) of Unit 9, Ravensdale Industrial Estate, Timberwharf Road, London N16 6DB. Source: Land Registry, title number TGL100496, obtained November 2017.

The land was used to grow watercress by Gaston DUTRIEZ, who bought the property from William Francis Joseph SIMPSON in 1922. Source: Land Registry title and 1930 Commercial directory.

In 2012, Google Street View shows the building as Connect House Serviced Offices, by a company called Frendcastle. On 8th November 2017, BBC London reported that the building was being used by four local councils as temporary housing, with rooms costing between £30 and £40 per night. A Royal Mail postcode search for the address shows 84 flats.

2016 Street View

2012 Street View

1938 OS map


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Phipps Bridge footbridge over Wandle

According to Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories: 8 Phipps Bridge, page 12,

the present bridge, … dates to the mid-1950s and replaced a World War II ‘Bailey’ bridge

In May 2016, the bridge was closed for repairs, and a new bridge was opened in February 2017. See also report by the contractor involved in the restoration.

Photo taken 7th March 2017

Photo taken 7th March 2017

Photo taken 7th March 2017


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.