Tag Archives: Whitford Lane

Queen Anne’s Bounty

To help with the income of poor clergy, the Queen Anne’s Bounty was a sum of money used to buy land. This land was then rented out and this rental income was used to support the clergy.

In 1734, £200 of this Royal Bounty was used to buy an area of land from Charles Dubois in Mitcham, to support the vicar at the parish church.

Source: An Account of the Augmentation of Small Livings by “The Governors of the Bounty of Queen Anne for the Augmentation of the Maintenance of the poor Clergy” published in 1856, by Christoper Hodgson, M.A.

Source: An Account of the Augmentation of Small Livings by “The Governors of the Bounty of Queen Anne for the Augmentation of the Maintenance of the poor Clergy” published in 1856, by Christoper Hodgson, M.A.

Eric Montague, in his Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 107, said that more land was bought in 1762 from Mary Gellibrand.

This OS map of 1867 shows areas marked as ‘Glebe’. Note that the London Road was, as shown on this map, known as Whitford Lane.

1867 OS map

1867 OS map

Later, parts of this land was sold off to developers to build houses. Montague, page 108, ibid., said that in 1790 a substantial plot was sold to build a house which became Glebelands.

In the Land Registry title for a house in Preshaw Crescent for example, a conveyance was made in 1897:

A Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 2 September 1897 made between (1) The Reverend Frederick Wilson Clerk (the Incumbent) (2) The Governors of The Bounty of Queen Anne for the Augmentation of The Maintenance of The Poor Clergy (the Governors) (3) The Right Reverend Father in God Edward Stuart (the Ordinary) (4) Francis Charles Simpson (the Patron) (5) The Right Honourable and Most Reverend Frederick By Divine Providence Lord Archbishop of Canterbury (the Archbishop) and (6) Richard Arthur Bush (the Purchaser) contains covenants details of which are set out in the schedule of restrictive covenants hereto.

See also Queen Anne’s Bounty on wikipedia.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Glebe Villas

c. 1910

Possibly built around the 1870s, there were six pairs of semi-detached houses along the west side of London Road. They were numbered northwards from 1 to 8, and 11 to 12. The gap between 8 and 11 was filled by a pair of semi-detached houses called Thrushcross and Hayworth which were built later by Athel Russell Harwood. He lived in Thrushcross and sold the other. They were destroyed by a V1 bomb in 1944. The names Thrushcross and Hayworth are taken from street directories and the 1911 census. Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 108, referred to these houses as Thrushcroft and Athelstan.

In this amended OS map of 1910, the house called Raydon is now number 326 London Road, which was later renamed Kellaway House.

1910 OS map

Occupants from Street Directories

1878

2, James CLARKE
3, John WALLIS
4, Henry HAYNES
5, Henry HILL
6, Thomas YOUNG
8, Charles COLLINS

11, Gustave MEINHARD
12, William PIPER
13, George BROMAGE
14, William WILLIAMS

1896

1, Walter THOMAS
3, Henry LOVE (surgeon)
4, Miss CHART (private school)
5, Mrs PALMER
6, Samuel William READING
7, Other Windsor BERRY
8, Oscar Berridge SHELSWELL

12, Henry M MARTYN
13, Samuel LOVE (assistant overseer and rate collector)
14, Mrs WILLIAMS

1911

2, Cyril CHARLES
3, Francis Albert COLLBRAN
4, Mrs HOLDEN
5, Percy IVISON
6, Charles Harold READING (surveyor)
7, John GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB

Thrushcross, Athel Russell HARWOOD

Haworth, Harold BENTLEY (surgeon)

11, William REYNOLDS
12, John COLLINS
13, Charles PROCTOR

1925
This directory shows numbers 9 and 10 instead of their names

1, Mrs SMITH
2, William ELLIOTT
3, Frederick Allan MANSBRIDGE
4, Miss Nora HOLDEN, school
5, Percy A. EVISON
6, Charles Harold READING
7, Jack GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB
9, Athel Russell HARWOOD
10, Mrs TUCKER
11, John Herbert HAWKINS
12, John William MOORE
14, Mrs G. LECLERQ

An article in the Mitcham Advertiser, 16th October, 1952, on page 1, lamented the loss of village relics, including the Glebe Villas, which were cleared away for the Glebe Court housing estate.

A row of three-storey, roomy and dignified semi-detached houses of the Victorian type, with bay windows, were built by George Hills, who was born in the Elizabethan house that once stood opposite Hall Place. Bricks used in Glebe Villas were made in Mitcham.

George Hills was the father of the last of the beadles of the parish and Parish Church.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

Whitford Gardens

Road off east side of London Road that extends south easterly to Cold Blows footpath. The name is a revival of the former name for Lower Mitcham. Whitford Lane had been the name for London Road between the lower and upper greens, according to Eric Montague in his Mitcham Histories book Church Street and Whitford Lane.

Houses are numbered odd from 1 to 63 on the east side of the road, and even from 2 to 58 on the west. Some addresses have been split into flats. According to the Royal Mail website, there are two postcodes used in this road. CR4 4AA for even numbers, and CR4 4AB for odd.

Visible on number 61 are the initials H.H. in its roof gable. This is likely to be for H. Harding, who got planning permission in 1906 to build 22 houses in this road.

The entrance to the site of the former Cumberland Hospital is at the southern end of the road across the route of the Cold Blows footpath. Currently, in 2018, this site has the Merton Dementia Hub and Cumberland Nursing Home which both have the address of 67 Whitford Gardens.

This map of 1953 shows the numbering of the houses.

1953 OS map


Sarah Ann Clothier outside her house, 11 Whitford Gardens, c1935. Photo kindly provided by Peter Hannah.

Newspaper Articles
Yorkshire Evening Post – Saturday 15 June 1912

ESTATE AGENTS SUICIDE.

Herbert William Cheesman, aged 42, an unmarried man, the agent of the Whitford Gardens Estate, Mitcham, was discovered dead by his mother early this morning in a shed at the back of his residence in Whitford Gardens, Mitcham. It believed that Cheesman, who was well known and respected, committed suicide by hanging himself.

Note that the 1911 census shows him as living at number 18.

In the Norwood News of Friday 17th July 1936, number 57 was offered to let at £1 8s. a week (£95 in 2018 values):

Mitcham.
Attractive villa, 57, Whitford-gardens: central position; 3 bedrooms, reception. bathroom (h. & c.); electric light: back entrance decorations to suit tenant: 28s. per week inclusive.

Apply Thompson, 26, Wandle-road. Morden.

In this 1910 map, houses on the west side of the road had not yet been built as far as Cold Blows.

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

World War 1 Connections
Private Harri Horsfall


From the Surrey Recruitment Registers:

T G BROWN of 19 Whitford Gardens, aged 27 Years 2 Months, Telegraphist. Conscripted on 10 December 1915 to the Royal Engineers.

W T GORE of 6 Whitford Gardens, aged 37 Years, Traveller. Volunteered with the Derby Scheme on 12 December 1915 to the Durham Light Infantry (6th Batn).

R MOORE of Lynghurst Whitford Gardens, aged 19 Years 10 Months, Metal Worker. Conscripted on 16 February 1917 to the Royal Garrison Artillery.


Occupants
as listed in the 1915 street directory:

from London Road

WEST SIDE

2, John Doney HAYWOOD
4, William Henry SANDERS
6, William GORE
8, David ELLIOT
10, Robert WOODWARD
12, James HAWKER
14, James VENABLES
16, Henry PATTISON
18, Alfred C. MELHUISH (estate agent)
22, Percy HELPS
24, Robert CLARK
26, David Emmerson REID
28, Ernest WHITTLESAY
30, Frank LEE
32, Arthur AUSTIN
34, Arthur Ernest HENTALL
36, Leopold WELLS
38, Leslie P.D. COOPER
40, Harold A. PACKER
42, Gerald HENNIKER

EAST SIDE

… here is Elmwood Road …

1, Frederick G. ASHWELL (gardener)
3, William Gardiner JACKSON
5, Mrs RYATT
7, Sydney RANDALL
9, John TEAGUE
11, James Henry SCURR
13, Ernest TONKES
15, Mrs M. BEWLLEW
17, George D. THOMPSON
19, George Thomas BROWN
21, Miss BEDDOE
25, Mrs H. PULLINGER
27, Harry SMITH
29, Dennis SULLIVAN
31, William HUMPHREY
33, Albert George RUSSELL
35, Mrs WILSON
37, Charles GREGORY
39, Arthur Henry STAINFORTH
41, Frederick JACKSON
43, Mrs MILLS
45, Mrs J.M. BUSBY
47, John William HORSFALL
49, Burnett BULLOCK P.A.S.I.
51, Wilfred PARKER
53, William SMOKER
55, Alfred J.S. ALLEN
57, George THOMPSON
59, Clifford MOULD
61, George A. MELLIARD
63, William SLEATH

from the 1925 street directory:

from Elmwood Road

SOUTH SIDE

1, Frederick G. ASHWELL
3, Charles LATHAM
5, Thomas RYATT
7, Sydney RANDALL
9, John TEAGUE
11, Joseph Edwin CLOTHIER
13, Ernest Arthur TONKES
15, John Arthur INGLE
17, George THOMPSON
19, George Thomas BROWN
21, Claude THOMPSON
23, Thomas Frederick WATSON
25, William HASTINGS
27, Henry SMITH
31, William HUMPHRIES
33, Walter Fell PALMER
35, Chalres WILSON
37, Edward FIELD
39, Arthur Henry STAINFORTH
41, Harold JARMAN
43, George WATSON
45, James Harold ELLIS
47, Frank Conrad LOHMAN
49, Mrs FOORD
51, George H. MALTHOUSE
53, William SMOKER
55, Mrs ARMITAGE
57, Albert THOMPSON
59, Bert ANSLOW
61, Richard HALE
63, Thomas J. FENN

NORTH SIDE

2, John Doney HAYWOOD
4, William Henry SANDERS
6, William Thomas GORE
8, David ELLIOT
10, Robert WOODWARD
14, James VENABLES
16, George CAIN
18, Archelaus TREGONING
20, William Bertram TYLEE
22, Percy HELPS
24, George William HENTILL
26, Ernest Henry BOWRA
28, Albert HUGH PATON
30, Mrs SHAPLAND
32, Lawrence E. THURLEY
34, Arthur Ernest HENDAL
36, Leopold W. WELLS
38, Arthur James WEEKS
40, Harold Arthur PACKER
42, Herbert RIVERS


Minutes of meetings held by the Croydon Rural District Council are available on request from the Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre at Morden Library.

Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.