Tag Archives: 1899

Lower Mitcham School

Now Benedict Academy School, Benedict Road.

Described in the 1918 street directory :

Lower Mitcham, Church road, built in 1897, for 280 boys, 280 girls & 320 infants & enlarged in 1913 for 380 boys, 880 girls & 320 infants; John D. Clarke, master; Miss Annie Roes, mistress; Miss Ellen Smith, infants’ mistress

Staff
1899, Mr Harber, Headmaster
1899, Mr Hossack, Assistant Master
1918, Mr John D. Clarke, Headmaster
1918, Miss Annie Roes, Mistress
1918, Miss Ellen Smith, Infants’ Mistress
1926, Mr H. C. Toller, master
1926, Mr F. C. Stone, headmaster
1933, Miss White, Teacher

Newspaper Articles

1899 School Board Report

1910 Antipodean Visitors

1920 Twin Towns

1924 Comedy of School Vacancy

1926 Novel Jazz Band at Christmas

1933 Seaside holiday for Explosion children


Merton Memories Photos
1924

1903 Change of the boundary with Tooting

From the tenth century, shires, or counties such as Surrey, were divided into administrative areas called Hundreds. (In the Danelaw this division was called a Wapentake).

Mitcham was in the Wallington Hundred. Tooting was in the Brixton Hundred. The boundary between the two was the River Graveney.

With the formation of the County of London (1888) and then the Borough of Wandsworth (1899), parts of the parish of Tooting-Graveney were in Mitcham because of this river boundary.

1893 OS Map

1893 OS Map – the V-shaped black line of dashes shows the boundary

So in 1903 the railway line was chosen as the new boundary and the area north of it went to Wandsworth Borough and the south of it to Mitcham.

1913 OS Map

1913 OS Map

After 1903, Tooting Junction Railway Station became part of Mitcham, as did Finborough Road and Tooting Old Hall.

Source: page 36 Mitcham Histories: 2 North Mitcham, by EN Montague.