Tag Archives: Glebe Villas

Glebe Square

Social housing built by Mitcham Borough Council, in 1955, on the site of the Glebe Villas. The council’s 2,500th post-war dwelling was completed there.

The blocks of flats are arranged as a square, with the western side on the east side of Glebe Path. The two southern blocks face Lower Green West, but are separated from it by fencing. There are two other blocks, one on the eastern and the other on the northern side.

There are 36 properties in total, numbered anti-clockwise sequentially from 1. In 1960 an attempt was made to change the numbers of the western block that had doors facing onto Glebe Path. Protests from homeowners in that road prevented this. See Glebe Path renumbering.

Layout of Glebe Square. Lower Green West is at the bottom of this diagram.

Layout of Glebe Square. Lower Green West is at the bottom of this diagram.

Aerial view of Glebe Square. The road on the left of the square is Glebe Path.

Aerial view of Glebe Square, looking northwards. The road on the left of the square is Glebe Path.

Glebe Path

Road that runs northwards off of the north side of Lower Green West.

The houses were probably built in 1929 or later by Isaac Wilson. The title deeds for one of the houses up for auction in February 2017 show that he bought the land on 10th November, 1928.

A Conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 10 November 1928 made between (1) The Revd. Charles Aubrey Finch (the Incumbent) (2) The Governors of the Bounty of Queen Anne for the Augmentation of the Maintenance of the Poor Clergy (3) Cyril Forster Bishop of Southwark (4) The Revd. Alard Charles De Bourvel (5) Randall Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury and (6) Isaac Henry Wilson (Purchaser)

On this 1867 OS map a path is shown across ‘glebe’ fields to the Glebelands house. These fields had been bought in the 18th century using the Queen Anne’s Bounty, which was a scheme for providing an income to the local clergy.

1867 OS map

1867 OS map

This 1910 OS map shows a road called Glebe Path, the row of houses on the left in Lower Green West is Preshaw Crescent, and the separate houses on the right were called Glebe Villas.

1910 OS map

1910 OS map

The OS map for 1953 shows the houses in this road. On the western, left hand side, going north, is a detached house, then a pair of houses before the junction with Russell Road which runs westward. North of Russell Road is a terrace of eight houses. On the eastern, or right hand side, the map shows a terrace of seven houses north of the junction with Russell Road opposite. At the north end of Glebe Path, the road turns right into Queen Annes Gardens.

1953 OS Map

1953 OS Map

Aerial photos

west side

west side

west side after Russell Road

west side after Russell Road

east side

east side

After the old people’s housing of Glebe Square had been built, an attempt in 1960 to renumber all the properties in Glebe Path was made by Mitcham Council, but the homeowners in the road protested. See Seven Defy The Council.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1952 : Village Relics Are Fast Disappearing

From the Mitcham and Tooting Advertiser of 16th October, 1952

VILLAGE RELICS ARE FAST DISAPPEARING

New building is changing the face of Mitcham

NEW FLATS TO REPLACE GLEBE VILLAS

GRADUALLY the few remaining relics of the Village of Mitcham are disappearing before the advance of the town-makers and other developers. The revolution, begun well within the memory of the oldest inhabitants, and quiescent during the war years, is now very active again. Not the least among those responsible for the changes are the borough council, whose ranges of fiats tower into the sky from Pollards Hill to Figges Marsh, and from the Fair Green to the Cricket Green.

In place of the long line of Glebe Villas in London Road which are being razed to the ground will rise a continuation of the huge block of Glebe estate flats, which will then be completed.

Glebe Villas, a row of three-storey, roomy and dignified semi-detached houses of the Victorian type, with bay windows, were built by George Hill, who was born in the Elizabethan house that once stood opposite the Hall Place, now itself no more.

George Hills was the father of the last of the beadles of the parish and Parish Church. A tradition remains that the bricks used in Glebe Villas were made in Mitcham.

Some of the best-known families in the village occupied the houses fifty years ago. They were in that part of central Mitcham and the London Road known and named as Whitford Lane, and Whitford Gardens opposite keeps that name green in the memory.

It was inevitable that sooner or later, Glebe Villas would go the way of the estates that once stood opposite, and the way of London Road, Lower Mitcham, from the Cricket Green to old Mitcham station and the River Wandle.

CHANGES
In living memory

Virtually all the changes have taken place within living memory. They include the disappearance of Holborn Schools and the erection of Monarch Parade at the Figges Marsh end of the road, the wiping out of Mizen Brothers’ extensive nurseries and the building of Elm Court flats and the development of the market garden land on which the central library, the adjoining shops and the baths now stand.

In its turn the Fair Green has been developed, though it still retains much of its old village appearance and character.

The latest change is taking place at the corner of Cranmer Road, opposite The Canons, where the last section of the old causeway and the last of the old timbered collages that once decorated that corner of the Cricket Green are doomed to disappear. The inevitable change there began in strength when Carlton’s market gardens became the site of Bramcote Avenue and Denham Crescent. A half-century earlier, Mitcham Park displaced the fields and lovers’ walks which the oldest inhabitants remember and whose passing they regret.

Beyond the Cranmer corner another great change in the aspect of Central Mitcham began with the razing of Cranmer House, the erection of Wilson Hospital and Mitcham County School for Girls, and the development of the Cesars Walk estate.

In that upheaval disappeared one of the finest of Mitcham’s ancient monuments — the centuries old tithe barn.

On the site now owned and occupied by Cranmer Motors Limited, formerly stood Piccadilly, now almost forgotten except by natives approaching their century. Piccadilly was nought but a couple or so of little wooden cottages in an alleyway leading to fields. The wood-framed Cramner Restaurant, which faces the obelisk in The Cannons marks the entrance to the Piccadilly that was.

It is all destined to disappear in the reconstruction and modernisation of Cranmer Corner, now proceeding. Quite recently a new sewer has been laid under the premises, including part of the Catholic Church to prevent the flooding of basements of the houses and business premises nearby, a nuisance endured for years.

Several derelict premises, one-time shops, cottages and a printing works, are being swept away, and on their site will be built, the enlargement of the Cranmer Motor Works and service station.

“I think the public generally will agree that the new Cramner Corner will be an improvement on the old Cranmer Corner.” said Mr. V. Cole, a son of a former Mayor and Mayoress of Mitcham, and the proprietor of Cranmer Motors Ltd.

Glebe Villas

c. 1910

Possibly built around the 1870s, there were six pairs of semi-detached houses along the west side of London Road. They were numbered northwards from 1 to 8, and 11 to 12. The gap between 8 and 11 was filled by a pair of semi-detached houses called Thrushcross and Hayworth which were built later by Athel Russell Harwood. He lived in Thrushcross and sold the other. They were destroyed by a V1 bomb in 1944. The names Thrushcross and Hayworth are taken from street directories and the 1911 census. Eric Montague, in his book Mitcham Histories : 12 Church Street and Whitford Lane, page 108, referred to these houses as Thrushcroft and Athelstan.

In this amended OS map of 1910, the house called Raydon is now number 326 London Road, which was later renamed Kellaway House.

1910 OS map

Occupants from Street Directories

1878

2, James CLARKE
3, John WALLIS
4, Henry HAYNES
5, Henry HILL
6, Thomas YOUNG
8, Charles COLLINS

11, Gustave MEINHARD
12, William PIPER
13, George BROMAGE
14, William WILLIAMS

1896

1, Walter THOMAS
3, Henry LOVE (surgeon)
4, Miss CHART (private school)
5, Mrs PALMER
6, Samuel William READING
7, Other Windsor BERRY
8, Oscar Berridge SHELSWELL

12, Henry M MARTYN
13, Samuel LOVE (assistant overseer and rate collector)
14, Mrs WILLIAMS

1911

2, Cyril CHARLES
3, Francis Albert COLLBRAN
4, Mrs HOLDEN
5, Percy IVISON
6, Charles Harold READING (surveyor)
7, John GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB

Thrushcross, Athel Russell HARWOOD

Haworth, Harold BENTLEY (surgeon)

11, William REYNOLDS
12, John COLLINS
13, Charles PROCTOR

1925
This directory shows numbers 9 and 10 instead of their names

1, Mrs SMITH
2, William ELLIOTT
3, Frederick Allan MANSBRIDGE
4, Miss Nora HOLDEN, school
5, Percy A. EVISON
6, Charles Harold READING
7, Jack GAFFNEY
8, William Austin WEBB
9, Athel Russell HARWOOD
10, Mrs TUCKER
11, John Herbert HAWKINS
12, John William MOORE
14, Mrs G. LECLERQ

An article in the Mitcham Advertiser, 16th October, 1952, on page 1, lamented the loss of village relics, including the Glebe Villas, which were cleared away for the Glebe Court housing estate.

A row of three-storey, roomy and dignified semi-detached houses of the Victorian type, with bay windows, were built by George Hills, who was born in the Elizabethan house that once stood opposite Hall Place. Bricks used in Glebe Villas were made in Mitcham.

George Hills was the father of the last of the beadles of the parish and Parish Church.


Maps are reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.